Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need recommendations on what brand of work boots to purchase that provide excellent comfort and warmth.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love my Doc Martens, but the steel toe isn't your friend in the winter. Come to think of it, does anyone know of a steel toe boot that isn't like having an ice cube on your toes after an hour or so in the cold?

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Quality socks make a difference.
That's the truth. I have been buying the Nike triple padded ones. Started wearing them at basketball and said what the heck these are the best. A pair of those make my red wings perfect.

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
I like Durango or Ariat pull ons.

One old boy on here mentioned a brand besides Danner that was made in America, I recorded the information but its at the office. Looked like a quality boot for tie ups.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I like Durango or Ariat pull ons.

One old boy on here mentioned a brand besides Danner that was made in America, I recorded the information but its at the office. Looked like a quality boot for tie ups.
Thorogoods. I wear them but they aren't insulated,

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I'm with Jaws with the pull ons.

It's all about keeping the feet dry. 20 years of outside construction and plowing in Wisconsin ....

#1 - Socks, right blend of materials is everything. Need to wick moisture away from feet.
#2 - Leather, absorbs moisture and 'conforms' to you feet. A proper fitting boot (anykind) it important
#3 - Keep em oiled and sealed, keeps moisture away from the above
#4 - consider "overboots" like the goulashes for traipsing in the snow and slush. Specifically if your in and out of a vehicle with heat. Keeps feet dry when outside and allows your boots to breath when in the vehicle.

Once your feet get wet, sweat or moisture from outside you're done. My feet sweat all the time, hot or cold. The sorrels and the likes are too heavy and clunky, for me.

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
My old man was the only one on his crew who wore tie ups, wanted more support probably. I started out mostly tieing steel, mucking and digging beams and ditches and doing some form work for him. We all tucked our jeans into our boots to keep our pants from getting totally screwed up, I still do when doing slab work. Definitely dont want laces doing grade work, just lets the granite gravel in to your shoes.

When I was mostly framing I wore tie ups, tighter fit and more support. Looked kind of funny with shorts, but its not a fashion contest.

I think pull ons are more comfortable, probably because thats what I wear. Lol.

Anyone wear Luchesse? They arent work boots, but for a dress boot they are real comfortable, and wear well. My favorite pair of boots besides my work boots are a pair of ostrich belly (no bumps) Luchesse's. 9 years old, still comfortable.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I've got a pair of Wolverines I wear in winter that are very warm. I can't wear then in warm weather because my feet sweet so much in them. In summer I have a pair of Carolina's.

I love my Doc Martens, but the steel toe isn't your friend in the winter. Come to think of it, does anyone know of a steel toe boot that isn't like having an ice cube on your toes after an hour or so in the cold?
Composite toe instead of steel. Just as strong yet don't freeze toes off.

Reactions: Exlud

·
Registered
818 Posts
Tennis shoes in summer unless it's muddy or we're pouring. Soft toe Laceup wolverines, and pull on Ariats in the winter and mud. Wool socks keep my feet warm the best.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I've been framing in my red wings for 3 years now and they still have a lot of life left. I had timberlands before these and they were in the trash after 8 months.

·
Super Moderator
10,678 Posts
I've been framing in my red wings for 3 years now and they still have a lot of life left. I had timberlands before these and they were in the trash after 8 months.
I wore out the soles on my only pair of Red Wings in about a year. Paid to resole them and got about 8 more months. In my opinion, the Die Hards from Sears are nearly identical and half the price. I wear the yellows over boots also for much of the winter. The best 20 bucks that I spend every year.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
maybe it depends on which red wings. mine have vibram soles and still have plenty of tread left. they actually re-welted the soles on both boots free of charge after part of 1 sole started to come loose after 2 years. got mine on sale for $140 so they were well worth the price.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The soles on all my shoes wear out long before the uppers. In the work boots, they crack across the ball of my foot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts