Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Need Ideas On How To Build A Slide Out Tool Organizer

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Marven 
#1 ·
All,

If anyone out there has any ideas or plans on how to build hopefully a low cost slide out tool organizer for a Ford E-150 van it would be appreciated.

#2 ·
To build a cheap bed slide will never last do the weight and the impact of the tools on the slide as u drive. I must have built 7 of them from garage door track to rollers. The extend o bed with the twin I-beams is the only thing that seems to work. Plus I can pull it out the full 8'

Vehicle Transport Car Property Automotive exterior

#3 ·
Accuride 9301 slides, 60" will cost you about $300 a pair. Then another $150 for the mounting brackets. Then you can make your own sliding surface.

#5 ·
I got my extend - o- bed for $500 off cl down by Detroit . They are around $2500 new. Weighs 550 pounds . If you check around u maybe able to find a used one cheap. Utube has some vids on people that made thier own. I want to add a chain drive operator to slide it in and out. Maybe a garage door operner so it will have the cordless remote. Push a button and watch it slide

#7 ·
Doing this for a van, you have the advantage of making the front of the space into a separate drawer that sides out the side doors. That way you don't have to have 8' of open space behind the van to open the drawer out the back.

Smaller more versatile drawers that way. You can even make two drawers that slide out of the side. One behind each door. That way one of the drawers can open with only one of the side doors open.

Another note: If the drawer design doesn't allow 4x8 sheets to slide in flat, below the drawers, you may want a slot to the left of the rear drawers, on the driver's side, where sheet goods can slide in vertically. Hope that makes sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.