Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make screened frames that can be removed from a screened in porch I'm making. Ordering screens from a window company is not an option for the owners. They don't want the extra cost
Beside just fastening a frame in the opening and stapling the screen to that then covering it with a trim piece which was originally agreed upon they not want to be able to remove it if need repair.
Thoughts or pics?
Thanks.
Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
wood framed? make frames out of mitered aluminum screen channel, and caulk. how removable? like daily basis removable?

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Tom Struble said:
just did a screentite job,it's a nice system,but not cheap..i think it was like 800 bucks for this porch
I specd it on one we just got the permit for today after reading your posts about it. :thumbsup: I will post pics when I get there.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Why not just buy the materials and build aluminum framed screens yourself? It's not hard and you can attach them with clips and they will be easily removed.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
summithomeinc said:
Why not just buy the materials and build aluminum framed screens yourself? It's not hard and you can attach them with clips and they will be easily removed.
But thats not the lastest greatest cool thing. Like led sticky strip lighting, got to have it.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Sheesh, you could probably get screens made for 20-30 bucks each. You couldn't make them any cheaper unless you do it for free. That's one reason I rarely do screens any more. If it isn't a large batch, it isn't worth it.

You want flush mount frames and pivoting screen clips. Looks good and easily removeable. Any decent glass shop could have them made for you in a couple hours.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Have a screen/window co make you a framed screen just like you would do on a window. whatever size you need.

Make them to fit the openings you frame and they will be removable.

They can make them much cheaper and faster than I can.

I don't think there is a ''cheap'' way to do this. good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here are a few pics of a screen porch we recently finished. Screens are not removable.
Have made them removable before and people never remove them!

Property Shed Building House Porch

Property Building Shed Shade Real estate

Property Porch House Building Room

Home Property House Roof Siding

·
I'm on a boat!
3,178 Posts
2 options - screen tight or aluminum framed screens. You cannot make the screens cheaper than you can buy them from a screen company. I've run the numbers on it.

For aluminum framed screens to look good, they've got to be screwed in place and pulled tight while installed. This removes any slack in the screen. If you just have them clipped, the screen tends to have slack.

I like the screen tight system. I've used it once and I've got another large screen porch coming up that I'm going to use it on.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I've used Screen Tight several times and their Fast Track system once.

Once you've installed the system it is very easy to replace a screen on site. It might cost a bit more than bringing a removable screen to a window shop but the customer isn't going to be bringing a 8'x4' frame to the shop anyway.

If you want easily removable screens then Screen Tight isn't the best option. I recently did a couple of porches that each had two removable panels made of azek with Screen Tight on it that worked well but the panels were obviously expensive to make. In this case it was a function of matching the appearance of the rest of the porch.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts