Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I couldn't get my ac to turn on the other night so I said no biggie, called my buddy that does that stuff, he said he would come look at it, hasn't showed up yet, (2 days now)

so I go out and look at it, it is supposed to have the piece of plastic with the two strips of copper on it plugged in, and it isn't. (not even there)
So I decided well, until I can go get one of those in the morning, I would just wire the wires together accordingly no biggie.

I do this, and it still doesn't work, so obviously there is a condenser problem, now here is my question for you sparky's, why would some power in my house not be working now?

I killed power to the hole house, (because the wiring is well lets say labled incorrectly) to do what I was doing on the outside box for the ac.

well now my basement doesn't have any power, nor my bedroom living room or dining room, none of the outlets work in those rooms, couple of the ceiling lights work, so what could be wrong, I hooked everything back up correctly to the terminals, as I took a pic of it before so I would know how to put it back when I got the piece I needed.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Electrical Contractor
37 Posts
Does your other 240 volt appliances work? Kinda sounds like a loss of a leg either the POCO or a bad main breaker. Check for voltage on line and load side of your main breaker.

·
Registered
838 Posts
As Wirenut stated you probably lost a hot leg on the load side with all those circuits being off. I would turn off all your breakers to the off position " so there won't be a load" & then flip the Main breaker on & off a few times. Make sure that you stand to the side when you do this. These breakers sit there year after year without being switched & they actually get "dirty" inside & then do not make contact when they are used once.. This might work for you & if it does not, or you don't feel confident enough- call an Electrician........

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ok, so I couldn't get my ac to turn on the other night so I said no biggie, called my buddy that does that stuff, he said he would come look at it, hasn't showed up yet, (2 days now)

so I go out and look at it, it is supposed to have the piece of plastic with the two strips of copper on it plugged in, and it isn't. (not even there)
So I decided well, until I can go get one of those in the morning, I would just wire the wires together accordingly no biggie.

I do this, and it still doesn't work, so obviously there is a condenser problem, now here is my question for you sparky's, why would some power in my house not be working now?

I killed power to the hole house, (because the wiring is well lets say labled incorrectly) to do what I was doing on the outside box for the ac.

well now my basement doesn't have any power, nor my bedroom living room or dining room, none of the outlets work in those rooms, couple of the ceiling lights work, so what could be wrong, I hooked everything back up correctly to the terminals, as I took a pic of it before so I would know how to put it back when I got the piece I needed.

Anyone got any ideas?
It would be common from the wording in your post to assume that the areas in your last paragraph had power before you worked on the AC. If so the main breaker is likely the problem.

However, I want to add that if you have a utility problem with one leg out it would cause your AC to not work properly as it is only receiving power from one leg rather than two (120V instead of 240V).

Call the utility and they'll check it free. Unfortunately with the recent storms it may take some time for them to get to you.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got both problems fixed, I finally decided to go check the breakers again, and the main wasn't on all the way so viola power, as for my ac, my dumb ass must have hit the thermostat wire with the wead eater LOL so now both problems fixed:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts