Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the deal. I drive a 4 door f150 need ideas for back to keep tools dry. Enclosed trailer is just not in the budget until spring. I checked on cap over 2000 bucks. Been looking for a used cap for 3 months with no luck because of the weird size of it, only a ford f150 cap will work. My back seat is huge and holds a lot of tools but its just not organized back there. In the bed I have 2 of those plastic rolling tool box deals that both work good. My large tools like miter saw, table saw i bring to jobsite when I need them and store then in my shop when I dont. But it would be great to be able to have them with me all the time.

I was thinking tonneau cover but then I have to buy a new ladder rack because it wont work with my current setup.

Anybody have a good solution to this problem. Id like to figure something out for like 500 bucks or so.

In years past I always had an enclosed trailer or at least a good full size work van, Never tried to work out of pickup like this. Getting pretty frustrating.

Another thought I had was maybe Im just carrying too many tools with me on a daily basis and need to scale it down some.
Any ideas or maybe pictures of something that may work to get me threw the winter?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
This is the deal. I drive a 4 door f150 need ideas for back to keep tools dry. Enclosed trailer is just not in the budget until spring. I checked on cap over 2000 bucks. Been looking for a used cap for 3 months with no luck because of the weird size of it, only a ford f150 cap will work. My back seat is huge and holds a lot of tools but its just not organized back there. In the bed I have 2 of those plastic rolling tool box deals that both work good. My large tools like miter saw, table saw i bring to jobsite when I need them and store then in my shop when I dont. But it would be great to be able to have them with me all the time.

I was thinking tonneau cover but then I have to buy a new ladder rack because it wont work with my current setup.

Anybody have a good solution to this problem. Id like to figure something out for like 500 bucks or so.

In years past I always had an enclosed trailer or at least a good full size work van, Never tried to work out of pickup like this. Getting pretty frustrating.

Another thought I had was maybe Im just carrying too many tools with me on a daily basis and need to scale it down some.
Any ideas or maybe pictures of something that may work to get me threw the winter?
What ladder rack do you have?

·
Registered
324 Posts
What about something along these lines: click

Not sure what size your table saw is, but the enclosed units would protect your miter saw and whatever other tools would fit. Plus the unit attached and detaches easily in case you had certain tools in it you didn't really need to bring with you on certain jobs. Or you could get one of the open units and build or buy some type of cover (tarp, large tote, etc.

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totaly agree a van would be best. I loved working out of one yrs ago. Only bad thing is they suck in the snow, but I could always just start taking snow days off! Thats why I was leaning towards a trailer. But I really dont dare to spend the 6k right now this close to winter. I am booked up for a couple months but works gets real slow up here after Dec. So I was hoping to wait til spring.

I have been looking for a used small trailer. Figure I could pick up a 8 or 10 footer to get me threw winter but i can't find any for a decent deal. I was hoping to grab one for 1500 or so.

Maybe I should just buy a beater van for the winter. Or maybe I should just trade my truck in on a new one, LOL I have no idea!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Id look into removing the back seat and building some shelving. A roof basket/racks may come in handy aswell... Or you could be a boss and build your own cap!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I drive a Silverado with a crew cab, small doors in back. The day I bought it I removed the back seat and built a double sided set of drawers where the seat had been. Lots of storage, height perfect to strap down my Kapex on one side and 12" DeWalt on the other. I think I have less than $250 in the whole deal including the heavy duty drawer glides.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I totaly agree a van would be best. I loved working out of one yrs ago. Only bad thing is they suck in the snow, but I could always just start taking snow days off! Thats why I was leaning towards a trailer. But I really dont dare to spend the 6k right now this close to winter. I am booked up for a couple months but works gets real slow up here after Dec. So I was hoping to wait til spring.

I have been looking for a used small trailer. Figure I could pick up a 8 or 10 footer to get me threw winter but i can't find any for a decent deal. I was hoping to grab one for 1500 or so.

Maybe I should just buy a beater van for the winter. Or maybe I should just trade my truck in on a new one, LOL I have no idea!
ya know I got a wells cargo fast track 6x10 for just over 2k. Brand new. All the used ones I saw were garbage...

When your ready, invest in a new trailer. My trailers have totally changed the way we do business. Fill it up - leave it on site. I always have everything and I dont have to haul everything all the time.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Buildtech said:
I drive a Silverado with a crew cab, small doors in back. The day I bought it I removed the back seat and built a double sided set of drawers where the seat had been. Lots of storage, height perfect to strap down my Kapex on one side and 12" DeWalt on the other. I think I have less than $250 in the whole deal including the heavy duty drawer glides.
Take a photo so we all can see .

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
ya know I got a wells cargo fast track 6x10 for just over 2k. Brand new. All the used ones I saw were garbage...

When your ready, invest in a new trailer. My trailers have totally changed the way we do business. Fill it up - leave it on site. I always have everything and I dont have to haul everything all the time.
What method do you use to lock it up so it's still there in the morning?

·
Registered
358 Posts
well... a lot of things. puck locks on the doors, a security system with battery backup, two locks on the reciever. parking it against the homeowners garage and having them block it in with their cars at night... plus if i have access ill lock the side door from the inside.

Then if im really worried about it ill use 1/2" chain and lock my 24' extention ladder to the axle and tongue. This might not stop someone from dragging it away but it'll make one hell of a racket if they try... :jester:

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
K&K Carpentry said:

They only suck when you don't have these bad boys on there. My vans are like 4 wheel drive in winter. Made it thru last 5 winters in Pittsburgh with out getting stuck. And I don't pussy out on snow days.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
olzo55 said:
I have locks on my back and side door, one on the hitch, and put ladders against the doors in case they do get in hopefully it'll either hit them or make enough noise when it falls to alert neighbors. Been thinking about buying boot to put on a wheel. I'm also particular about the neighborhood I will leave it in.
I had a boss once who's trailer was so heavy he wouldn't do anything to keep someone from backing in and hitching up. Crazy if you ask me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a f150 with trac racks. I didn't want a soft cover tonneau cover that anybody can get into. So I bought the bak roll x cover. I rolls up inside the rack rails. The cover once shut and locked has to be opened with the tailgate down. Which I have a locking tailgate. So it doesn't make it easy to steal tools at all. Great investment of $800.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Get a used flat bed trailer and bolt some old truck boxes and joboxes to it.

Or put some cleats on the side of the bed, and get a piece of canvas sized for the bed, cut and stitched to go around the ladder rack.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts