Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to add afci breakers to make the house up to code. The problem I have is they ran 14-3 wire to share a circuit to two different rooms. So the square d afci breakers won't work. Do I have to change out the box to a company that makes afci breakers that work with 14-3 wire. Any help would be much appreciated. Ps I'm not a electrician and don't plan on doing it so my terms may be not all right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a two story house and the exterior walls are spray foamed with closed the only option would be to use a interior wall and go up in attic and around. Didn't know of that was my only options.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The question, as always, is "What does your electrician say?"

Before rewiring the branches or switching the main box, I'd probably ask my electrician if he could put in a small subpanel for just the shared neutral circuits, with the Siemens two-pole AFCIs in the subpanel

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I would recommend running a new circuit to one bed room and cap off the line and neutral in the 1st box that feeds that particular room. Not sure how replacing the fuse/breaker panel will take care of you shared neutral problem? If it is space you lack in a breaker panel then use a piggy back breaker or you can do a load calc for those two circuits and put both lines on the AFCI breaker.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,713 Posts
..... Not sure how replacing the fuse/breaker panel will take care of you shared neutral problem? .......
Some manufacturers make 2-pole AFCIs.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Thanks for that 480, to be honest never seen one. I even checked my suppliers book and there is not one even listed by any manufacturer. Must not be a common use item but i can see where it could be useful.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts