Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to add afci breakers to make the house up to code. The problem I have is they ran 14-3 wire to share a circuit to two different rooms. So the square d afci breakers won't work. Do I have to change out the box to a company that makes afci breakers that work with 14-3 wire. Any help would be much appreciated. Ps I'm not a electrician and don't plan on doing it so my terms may be not all right.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a two story house and the exterior walls are spray foamed with closed the only option would be to use a interior wall and go up in attic and around. Didn't know of that was my only options.

· Head Grunt
3,540 Posts
I would recommend running a new circuit to one bed room and cap off the line and neutral in the 1st box that feeds that particular room. Not sure how replacing the fuse/breaker panel will take care of you shared neutral problem? If it is space you lack in a breaker panel then use a piggy back breaker or you can do a load calc for those two circuits and put both lines on the AFCI breaker.

· Registered
7,340 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.