Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been subing from drywall contractors in sc for a few years and i want to start doing my own bids but i need to know what prices to charge. I have the price list that the contractor pays me per sq. Footage but what does he actually charge? What is his mark up so that i would know what to charge when i bid?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
As much as the market will bear........

But do remember, while it may seem to you that your GC is skimming 10-15 mark-up on your work, that GC is performing a service for the end user (sub or customer).

He is scheduling, overseeing, coordinating, having back-up, and to a degree guaranteeing your work. He has procured the work and in effect put his reputation upfront in who he hires to the customer or GC.

Not bad to go out on your own, but realize that any mark-up on your work does not majically flow into your pocket without additional work and expertise.

I don't know your market, but his mark-up is likely to vary significantly with the job and his negotiating position, as will yours.

Good luck.... best learn the market ASAP.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
I have been subing from drywall contractors in sc for a few years and i want to start doing my own bids but i need to know what prices to charge. I have the price list that the contractor pays me per sq. Footage but what does he actually charge? What is his mark up so that i would know what to charge when i bid?

As a former drywall, paint, and gyp-crete estimator, I was involved with adjusting prices per board for the last company I worked for. We had set pricing per each individual house design that a builder/developer had going up. We would also set the how much we paid out per board for hanging, finishing, and texturing. The pay out was set on variables like height, excessive corner beads, textures, etc. etc. etc. This information was not shared with sub crews because it is really none of thier business what we made on a house. We seldom used crews that did all 4 phases of the drywall/plaster installs. Everything we charged & paid was based on a per board, not square feet. Is the DW contractor asking for the entire package from you.......turn key? If so, you need to know how long it will take your crew hang, finish, texture and have it scrapped out. Speed is everything in drywall.

A hanging crew was paid a X amount per board.
Finishers were paid a X amount per board.
Texturers were paid a X amount per board.
Scrap out crews were paid a X amount per board.

If you liked what we paid, you and your crew a had a job. If you didn't have liability/comp.....we took 15% ( if I remember correctly ) of the pay out on each unit you completed.

Ask the guy what he is paying per board and go from there. I would pull a tape on the unit to make sure he wasn't short cutting you. Make sure you take beads and high work into consideration also because they are time and mud eaters.

This forum frowns on giving prices. If the guy is a sharp contractor, he should pretty much know right down to the last nickel what he is paying out on each phase or the entire package.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.