Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a construction worker. I am a manager to a contractor who is pulling me in to jobs that are new to me. I have a question with Ice and Water. I will try to explain this the best I can so not to be too confusing. Bare with me.

First of all, what is the proper NON brand name for this shield? My main question, I've been given a job to ice and water around windows that are stepped. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this so it doesn't bunch up in the corners and still makes a perfect seal.

I played around with it today for about an hour and the best seal I've been able to come up with is like a butterfly or better yet, a bow tie cut placed in the corners to seal. A second layer, slit at a 45 degree up to the step, placed on top. When applied, it splits and reveals the bow tie I first applied. It seems to make a nice seal. The rest is easy. Just these corners I'm wanting to make work. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Mods, Im not sure where to put this. Most roofers use this stuff but this is more of a construction or carpenter's question?

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Ice and Water shield is pretty thick for window flashing. Have you looked into flashing products that are designed for use around windows available in 3 1/2" and 6" widths? Grace Vycor, Protectowrap, 3M, Zip Tape, etc.

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
^^^^^^ What he said. Why are you using Ice and Water shield instead of the proper products? They also make a corner for the window flashings.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I thought Grace Vycor and Ice and Water were the same but different product names only. Grace Vycor is what I was actually using today. So scrap what I said about Ice and Water and replace it with Grace Vycor. Thanks Eric, VinylHanger.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Mods, Im not sure where to put this. Most roofers use this stuff but this is more of a construction or carpenter's question?
Mod here :laughing:

I'm not sure exactly where this question belongs either but lets let it ride here for now.

If you want it moved to a specific section, ask one of the mods to move it and they will surely oblige.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Will do and Thanks rselectric1.

So I just looked up to see that Grace Vycor makes a Prefabricated Corner - That would be an easy solution but I'm sure there is a way to do this nicely without me having to use pre fab corners. No?

·
Registered
13,937 Posts
Ice Shield / ice guard. Grace Vycor is a thin non granular type that is okay. The bow tie technique is as good as you can get. Bulky. Beware not all rubber backed adhesives are compatible with pvc window frames.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Remember, I'm dealing with a stepped window. So I have that to contend with as well. Thanks again folks.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Reg said:
Thanks. Do you always hammer tack or only on a day when it's cool and not sticking as well?
Always, it's no fun to have it move when you're trying to put the window in, and I always have a hammer tacker on me when doing windows anyways for tacking the house wrap out of the way. Just 1 or 2 staples in it to keep it in place

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm not sure exactly, can't picture what you mean by stepped.

DuPont flexwrap sounds like the way to go. It's like a buck and change a box. You can always hang on to it, if you don't use it up. Peace of mind / weathertight= priceless. It'll allow you to flash the window monolithic, no seams, caulk or cuts.

Weathersmart makes a comparable product for less $. I've used it on one job, didn't find it to be as pliable, flexible as DuPont. It still worked nonetheless .

·
Registered
349 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
As in a buck and change he means over $200 a 75' roll.

And of still should be caulked anyways
The 6 in is closer to 150, I think, so I'm not sure if 6 in or 9in is what's needed. I'm sure you could check local yards and get the 9 for under 200. The weather smart is definitely cheaper.

If you use flexwrap for your sill pan, where is caulk required ? Caulk sides and top flanges,

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Ohteah said:
The 6 in is closer to 150, I think, so I'm not sure if 6 in or 9in is what's needed. I'm sure you could check local yards and get the 9 for under 200. The weather smart is definitely cheaper. If you use flexwrap for your sill pan, where is caulk required ? Caulk sides and top flanges,
I was talking about caulking the sides and top. 6" is 149 and 9" is 219 here. A good caulk will outlast a window so I don't see the point to use flex wrap. And you should use at least 9" for the sill

·
Registered
349 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
I was talking about caulking the sides and top. 6" is 149 and 9" is 219 here. A good caulk will outlast a window so I don't see the point to use flex wrap. And you should use at least 9" for the sill
I typically use 6 in on 2x4, 9 on 2x6, I hear there is a 5 in, but could be a myth, I've never been able to get it. I can't see not using it, even a good caulk, maybe ten years. It doesn't bond, you have a void, it shrinks, separates etc. It will inevitably fail.

A sill flashing like flexwrap can't fail, if done properly. Window leaks doesn't matter you wall cavity is bulletproof. IMO.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts