Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have worked portland cement/concrete for years, mostly slab work. I have also built several rock walls in my yard...I am considering molding some concrete/mortar mix. My question....is there any material, other than portland cement, that will do pretty much the same thing as portland cement???.

When I mix the mortar for my wall rocks, I usually add a half shovel of powdered lime, seems to make it a little creamier. I went looking for lime the last time I went to the hardware store, they were out...I went to Southern States (don't work there, not a commercial) and bought 50# bags of calcium.
Never worked with the stuff before, mixed it a little like the lime, seemed okay.

Yesterday after the first football game, I mixed some mortar in the wheelbarrow and I wanted it super creamy so I added a matching amount of portland cement and calcium to my sand, whirred it all up w/ some water the old fashioned way, wheeled the barrow to the wall where I had some rocks stacked and proceeded to mud them in. I was trowelling from the front of the w/barrow and the mix in the back of the barrow took an initial set. This happened in a span of time of about 15 minutes...

I have not mixed the calcium with water to see what happens..AND, I am in need of a "white" concrete-like product for a molded product/project I have in mind (at my wife's greenhouse/nursery business) Have I accidentally solved my own problem?? or does the calcium hydration just speed up the cement set process?? Is there another dry bag product that will be white when set and exhibit similar characteristics as portland cement?? thoughts please??

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
That is not a real good thing to add to concrete or mortar, although it is often used to decrease set time in cold weather. It eats rebar, and will cause efflorescence in mortar. It works by absorbing the water rapidly from the mix, and does not add anything beneficial at all.

If you want white mortar, use white portland and liime or white masonry cement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
haha ever heard of calcium cholride bro it is decemeber first but i would be careful unless you wanna work ur dick in the dirt

·
Registered
686 Posts
You want to try Natural Hydraulic Lime....go to www.palimeworks.com, there is a pile of information....but I think you will learn alot, I know I have. This stuff has been in use for about 5-6 thousand years, so it has a proven track record....good luck

·
Registered
247 Posts
get white cement and whenever I need creamier mud I ad c-21 all acrylic, it improves bond strength esp. when going vertical, is white as well.. really creams the mix put it on the dry mix then add water on top of it. seems to be a good tightener as well

I use c-21 cause its manufuactured local to me if anyones interested silpro.com/datasheets/C-21datasheet.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts