Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of bidding on a sewage remediation project (it’s a river but more like a sewer). The flow is fairly slow. I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to create treatment “areas” within the river so the water flowing through it is held for several hours (though there is constant flow, the current flow discharge is slow enough so no need to stop the flow). I’m particularly interested in suggestions for the wall or water gate which can be constructed to create those areas (I’ll be hiring a subcontractor to do the construction. The solution should be low cost). I’m no construction expert – my area is remediation of water but I have to make a proposal for a turnkey project, hence this.

I’d be willing to pay for advice on this since I have to create a proposal/plan for this soon and don’t have the knowledge to come up with a good concept for the “areas”.
If you know much about canal, flow structure, river flow from a construction industry perspective, then let me know and I’ll pay for your time or suggestions. Please let me know if you have any questions.

There are two rivers:
1. The width of the 1st river/canal is 60 meters, and the treatment area can be divided into three areas which are (each) approximately 250 meters long, 60 meters wide and around 2.5 to 3 meters deep.
2. 2nd river is wider – around 130 meters and the depth is same (2.5- 3 meters). Three treatment areas, each approximately 250 meters needs to be built.

The coordinates, if you want to look up on google earth are: 19° 3'7.78"N, 72°50'40.96"E
attached are the pictures showing the river and the concept.
thanks.

Attachments

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
The solution should be low cost).
I see nothing about this that would be low cost.

The only advice I can give is to hire a PE that specializes is this type of work.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Do an internet query for "portable dam". No shortage of resources there.

Whose funding the project? World Bank? W.H.O.? State of Maharashtra? City of Mumbai?

4 million folks a day dump DIRECTLY into that river. The other 10 million rely on an overloaded patchwork of sewers built in large part by the Brits during their colonial reign of power.

Good luck with your project. You couldn't get it done in America - too many rules.

·
Chuck
523 Posts
You've got to be kidding me! :rolleyes:

This sound like a fairly large project that needs to be designed by an engineer. You might contact two or three firms in your area that have experience with this type of work and have them work you up a cost to provide the level of service you require.

If this in in the U.S.A. I would think that the US Army core of engineer's will have to sign off on your plans.

Good luck.

·
Contractor
7,314 Posts
How much time do you have?

I know a company that could probably do the design, but would most likely need field data to do so.

They are located in Northern Virginia, and have offices regionally, where are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sheet piling in River

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the location is in Mumbai.

Pipeguy, the problem with portable dams is they're only for shallow water (say upto to a meter). In the case of this sewer and particularly the areas I want to set up the "the treatment areas", the depth is upto 3 meters or higher. Its being funded by the city municipality.

The project is for bringing down the odor/stink and improving the BOD, pollutant contents, etc. for 3 years (the specified results have to show in 90 days all the way to end of 3 yrs) - Hence, this is more of a bioremediation job (using a solution that attacks the polutants) but my proposal is to treat the water at source so that the area to be remediated (the triangle you see in the map) is more manageable. Also, by low cost I meant "competitive" since they are only looking at this as a "3 year solution" and I may price myself out if I offer somethign which is better but more expensive.

With the limited knowledge I have of construction in such areas, I think Sheet Piling may be the way to go, with a sluice gate in the middle. I'm attaching a concept sketch for feedback.

This, again, presents another problem - installing the pile sheet in the middle of the sewer/river will probably require a barge since it won't be possible for excavators/cranes with sheet piling attachment to reach so far in the middle of the sewer. I'd appreciate any tips on sheet piling. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am not sure on the kind of flow you have going, however, even with a slower moving current I am going to say the sheet pile will want to tip unless your design accounts for bracing. Trying to choke the flow down to your gates is going to really speed things up through the gates and put extreme force on the piling. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fence Boom

Cexcavation, thanks for the feedback. I think I agree with you on my initial opinion on sheet piling - specially since rains (3 months of the year) in Mumbai are torrid.
I just thought of another idea - of installing many, many fence/curtain booms (just discovered what they are) pinned to the bottom with heavy stones and nailed to the side wall, with one side open (so as to create a maze). This will not seal the water, but it will ensure that the water takes considerably longer to pass that area as it has to maneuver across all the booms (the longer it takes the more it will be treated with bacterial culture). In case of the flow suddenly becoming rapid, these will just tip (from the top) and let the water pass and hopefully not do any damage (worst case the side nails will come off). The last row can be of more durable and thicker material and pinned on both side walls with an opening which lets the water flow out, hence ensuring the water remains relatively still - this last row can be periodically tilted to let any sludge out.
I'm still trying to test if this will work - feedback very much appreciated. thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
although i hold no professional degrees, i have a little experience in water/sewer construction. my services are available for $750k a year, plus travel and living expenses. :whistling:whistling:whistling PM me if interested.

·
Chuck
523 Posts
although i hold no professional degrees, i have a little experience in water/sewer construction. my services are available for $750k a year, plus travel and living expenses. :whistling:whistling:whistling PM me if interested.
Whats wrong Day? Did it stop snowing? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
It seems to me the fence boom will not increase the time the sewage is in that section, it will merely increase the flow distance and speed. Increasing the time in the section will require a dam so more days worth of sewage is contained.

Of course, I'm not an engineer, nor have I played one on TV.

Reactions: PipeGuy

·
Registered
469 Posts
You can use a type of circular cell sheet piles. You fill the circular piles with stone to add mass. Or you can do a series of flat sheet piles linked together as a series of overlapping circles fill with stone to resist overturning pressure from the water flow. But what do I know I am just a lever puller.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts