Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
done with my deck, now I need to add a shed roof. max pitch is going to be 3/12. I want to do a shed roof. don't know where to start next. do I put a bottom plate on the the deck, then my 4x4 posts, then 2x4 plate on top. do I double top plate and then put a 2x8 beam. need some help.
I am unable to attach a picture, the file is to big.

·
Banned
917 Posts
done with my deck, now I need to add a shed roof. max pitch is going to be 3/12. I want to do a shed roof. don't know where to start next. do I put a bottom plate on the the deck, then my 4x4 posts, then 2x4 plate on top. do I double top plate and then put a 2x8 beam. need some help.
Rip out some of the wall and ceiling drywall and insulation in your house and see how that was framed. Just copy whatever is in the house.

·
Eater of sins.
4,680 Posts
No you don't need any of that stuff, just find yourself an old garage door of the proper size.

Take the one from your neighbor if it looks like it will fit. Then, attach one end to the existing roof and the other end (the one with the metal rod extending form end to end) prop that on two 2 x 4s. Slope it down toward the 2 xs and then tighten the metal rod to straighten it up nicely.

This works great and is quite inexpensive.

I hope this is a help.

Andy.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I am unable to attach a picture, the file is to big.
just put a post on each corner and one across the top, 2x4 on the bottom is all you need

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
No you don't need any of that stuff, just find yourself an old garage door of the proper size.

Take the one from your neighbor if it looks like it will fit. Then, attach one end to the existing roof and the other end (the one with the metal rod extending form end to end) prop that on two 2 x 4s. Slope it down toward the 2 xs and then tighten the metal rod to straighten it up nicely.

This works great and is quite inexpensive.

I hope this is a help.

Andy.
I saw that on one and it looked really cool
Good ideal

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Well first off, i hope i am not out of line here, the 3-12 pitch isnt alot so i would go with PT 8"X8"s for you supports. You should use a TJI layed on its side for the top plate. Then you want to fill the void of the TJI with LVL's for you top beam. For you rafters i would use TJI's 6"OC to carry any kind of snow load. Now with proper clamping and use of glue you wont need any screws or lags, you would want to just tack everything together until the glue sets. For tieing into the main roof just fire up a saw and cut holes in the roof to allow the TJI's to slip inside but you want to use alot of caulk to prevent any leaks. What are doing for the shingles or tin? I would place tin sideways so any water runoff from the main roof would slow down on the shed, er i mean deck roof or else the water runoff will shoot right off the roof. I hope i have been of some help, lets be safe.

·
Banned
917 Posts
I would place tin sideways so any water runoff from the main roof would slow down on the shed, er i mean deck roof or else the water runoff will shoot right off the roof.
With this system you could also use the roof for a sluice box in case you ever got into placer mining so be sure to put the whole roof on pivots.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well first off, i hope i am not out of line here, the 3-12 pitch isnt alot so i would go with PT 8"X8"s for you supports. You should use a TJI layed on its side for the top plate. Then you want to fill the void of the TJI with LVL's for you top beam. For you rafters i would use TJI's 6"OC to carry any kind of snow load. Now with proper clamping and use of glue you wont need any screws or lags, you would want to just tack everything together until the glue sets. For tieing into the main roof just fire up a saw and cut holes in the roof to allow the TJI's to slip inside but you want to use alot of caulk to prevent any leaks. What are doing for the shingles or tin? I would place tin sideways so any water runoff from the main roof would slow down on the shed, er i mean deck roof or else the water runoff will shoot right off the roof. I hope i have been of some help, lets be safe.
that's a great idea but, I really think this guy is a DIYer ... I'd suggest he prefab his roof .... lay his sheathing out on his deck, add the drip edge, felt paper and shingles, use 2 1/2" ring shank nails .... weigh it and let us know how much, then we can tell him how to build the structure

·
Registered
189 Posts
You came to the right place. In a cost saving effort, which yours clearly is, pitch it back towards the house. This way you'll save on excess gutter cost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts