Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was hired to label a service panel the other day. I did the best I could and labeled everything except a couple breakers which I absolutely could not find!

What's the best way to go about tracing a breaker to it's outlets/switches/appliances?? Is it still the good old fashion way, shutting off and testing?

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
They are fine to use to identify one or two circuits. They are hell by yourself to label an entire panel.
The ONLY easy way is to turn literally everything on in the house. Then get another helper to yell what goes out with each breaker that is turned off.
Sounds silly but it's loads easier than plugging that thing in to every receptacle and walking back to the panel to check it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Speedy, how does that work for switched receptacles on 2,3 or 4 ways?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Dude - yell? You gotta invest in a couple of Talk Abouts!

Then actually you can map an entire house with a helper and these gizmos. I can't imagine you would need to, but since I buy houses and remodel them while I live in them I need to know exactly what each circuit is doing. So I make a map that includes every light fixture and outlet and give the wife a copy and I stand in front of the panel with my map and she goes from device to device and I get a ridiculously complete picture of the entire houses electrical layout. The house I'm currently in I ended up running about 15 new circuits last year, that was a lot of freaken wire but what a nice set-up now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts