Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a hardwood flooring contractor. I have some knowledge in setting tile but have only done so in my own home. I have realized this morning that I know a lot less than I thought. I have agreed to help an old friend tile the sun room at his home. We started last week by floating the slab because it was falling about an inch away from the home. It seem to go well. Next we used a Self leveling compound and floated it out to what we thought was level. I began setting tile this morning. What a disaster. The sub floor has so many un- level areas that many tiles are simply rocking back and forth and not adhering at all. I plan to return in the morning and remove the tiles laid and scrape up the thin set. Start over. What is the best way for me to get this level. my friend is not expecting perfection but there has to be a better way. I'm sure I am way off base with my approach but any advise would be so appreciated.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I admire your gumption, but honesty might be the better part of valor here. "Learning" the correct way to float that floor and "practicing" on your friends house, might lead to losing a friendship. This is his home you're talking about. So, maybe it's time to call a professional.

Just sayin'.... :whistling

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
For tiling, you don't need level, you need flat.

Self leveler needs more attention than just pouring and waiting.

Is the existing surface an approved material to go over? Did you use some kind of primer? Check Youtube and look for videos on installing self leveling compound. You need to briefly and gently work it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone, after the last few hours of searching for info, i have come to the conclusion that the expense of a good tile man man is worth every penny. I have a new found respect for what you guys do I think I will stick with what I do. Local tile guy meeting me at nine, to laugh at my mess I'm sure. Thanks again guys..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Did you prime it?
Did you mix it correctly?
Was the concrete clean, unsealed etc.
If yes to those, then grinding the uneven areas may work, not many tile guys are concrete grinding/prep if they don't have the equipment.

You could have put a 1" thick piece of material at wall and pulled a screed across riding on the slab at one end and on top of screed board at other end. Still grinding to flatten any raised spots/humps.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
For tiling, you don't need level, you need flat.

Self leveler needs more attention than just pouring and waiting.

Is the existing surface an approved material to go over? Did you use some kind of primer? Check Youtube and look for videos on installing self leveling compound. You need to briefly and gently work it.
I remember my first leveler experience. Learned that it wasn't a pour and forget it product. Thankfully one pour didn't level the floor so I was able to apply what I learned on the second pour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts