Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've paid a decent amount of money to have a freelance web designer design our website. Long story short, he left it half-completed when he received a second payment.

We have someone that is willing to complete this project for us for next to nothing (content, images, layout etc) - should we stick with this layout or have it completely reconstructed?

www.premierhcg.com

I'm looking for first impression feedback, and am curious to know if the website is easy to navigate (it's easy for me, as i've been playing with it for the past moth). Any feedback is appreciated

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I don't like the way the homepage is formatted completely differently then the rest of the site, once I click on something like Framing I get a bunch more services to choose from.

I do like the different services pages, but hate the home page. I have't looked at any of your code or anything so I cant say how well that is all done.

·
Lead Bloodhound
13 Posts
The internal pages look fine, but there is something about the home page that clashes. I don't think the color combination works very well. The blue, white and orange work together (as in the inner pages), but the burgundy green and purple not so much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't like the way the homepage is formatted completely differently then the rest of the site.
I do like the different services pages, but hate the home page.
Noted. I did not want the homepage to be an "About Us" page, or an information page - I think the goal was to make navigating as easy as possible at first glance. Kind of as if you click what you need and never go back to the homepage.

Although you disliked the homepage; if you were coming to this website looking for information about remodels or handyman services, would you be able to find the information you needed with ease? Is the homepage just too overwhelming to look at?

I appreciate your feedback!

there is something about the home page that clashes. I don't think the color combination works very well. The blue, white and orange work together (as in the inner pages), but the burgundy green and purple not so much.
Thanks for the feedback. I will look into changing the burgundy to orange, purple to white, green to a dark blue to match the layout, keep the lighter blue that also matches the layout, and arrange them in a (hopefully) non-clashing pattern. DB-O-LB-W or DB-O-W-LB

·
Lead Bloodhound
13 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I will look into changing the burgundy to orange, purple to white, green to a dark blue to match the layout, keep the lighter blue that also matches the layout, and arrange them in a (hopefully) non-clashing pattern. DB-O-LB-W or DB-O-W-LB
Just my personal taste, but if you made white and blue the two main colors and orange was an accent it would match the inner pages and look much better I think.

I personally would make the 4 horizontal boxes underneath slider orange which would really pop against the blue.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Blue left hand 'contact us' link is broken

The Framing, remodeling ... icon/graphics are 'odd' looking. The purple, while it is color scheme correct - looks out of place.

Not a fan of muted colors.

It's not bad overall

·
Marketing Consultant
35 Posts
Hi Premier,

Looking at the website on my computer screen, I feel that, when it comes to the home page, there is a lot of valuable space wasted "above the fold" (a term that refers to the portion of the website the visitor can see without scrolling down). That is, in my opinion, where all the relevant information about the company should be.

One important piece of information missing in the home page is Location. Where are you located? What is your service area? Except for the area code in the phone number provided -- which if I am not mistaken places you somewhere near Atlanta, GA -- there is nothing there to let me know if your business serve my town.

If the new web designer you hired is familiar with A/B testing, I'd suggest testing a version of the page with a smaller slideshow, smaller navigation icons, and emphasis on a single form to capture leads with a single "call to action". (I noticed you have two different forms and calls to action -- one is for leads and one for projects)

The other pages could use some more images to illustrate some of the points and services. I'd also suggest a stronger About Us page with more information about the company -- including any awards, certifications and accreditation badges you have, and perhaps a picture of the owner. In my experience, people feel more confident when they see the people behind the company they are considering to hire.

Also, I'd make sure the redesigned site has a responsive template, because contractors are getting a lot of traffic from mobile devices these days. You want the site to look as good as possible on a smartphone to convert that traffic into leads. I tested your website in a small screen and it didn't look right to me, but that might be just my device emulator not working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts