Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes have to sink only one or two rebar dowel rods vertically or horizintal in a wall. My code requires I do so with Epoxy 2-part. The tubes come with 1 tip that mixes the material together and applies with a caulk gun..the tubes are $18-22 each. I hate having 85% of a tube left and a tip that is useless now. I wind up mixing my stuff on a piece of cardboard and a shim for the next couple of small jobs and have to somehow squeeze it into the hole..not too bad vertically...miserable on a horizontal dowel..
Anyone know where I can buy extra tips..I have searched online..searched Quikcrete.com website for spares to buy..I am reaching out to you guys for some help.

·
Registered
593 Posts
On jobs where you use multiple tubes, use one tip (or as few as possible) and save the rest for occasions like that in your post?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
On jobs where you use multiple tubes, use one tip (or as few as possible) and save the rest for occasions like that in your post?
You really don't have time to screw around, leave a hilti tip for 5 min on a hot day and it's rock solid.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem is I am not a concrete only guy..I do concrete occasionally..big jobs I sub..small little knee walls ( this past week) I handle or the slab that needs to tie in to existing in one small area is where I run into the hassle of throwing away tips on half empty tubes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wrong application then, order a box of UCAN HammerCaps:

http://www.ucanfast.com/products/details.php?category=Chemical+Anchors&c=3&subcategory=Anchoring+Cement+%26+Glass+Capsules&sc=176&productid=137

But it you are convinced otherwise hilti sells them....not cheap though and they may not fit.

https://www.hilti.ca/anchor-systems/dispensers,-accessories,-testers/284267

The hilti tubes come with 2 tips, if I have any left I shoot it into a zip lock bag and pipe it in.
I just bought a dozen 1/2" ( UCAN hammercaps) off ebay for $16 with freight..thanks for the info.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,430 Posts
I have the same problem and the same problem with silicone. I charge for the whole tube and toss it after I'm done. I hate waste but I hate messing with stuff a month later that isn't worth the time.

Have you tried calling Quickcrete? You never know...they may send you some.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Fastenal near me but their inventory is less than stellar..I needed white hex head tapcons..not blue..standard for our shutter and screen enclosure applications down here..very common..my normal distributor only had 2 1/4" long ones in stock I needed at least 3"..went to Fastenal and you would have thought I was asking for gold plated tapcons by the way they told me blue was all they had and white was special order, blah blah...
So, thanks for the heads up but I am not holding my breath that my local whse will have them..I just may deal directly with a supplier and get a few shipped to me..
Who knows..the UCAN Hammercaps I ordered might be my new go to material if they work out ok..price seems good for what I ordered from eBay..a dozen for $16 with shipping is a nice price point.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Wrong application then, order a box of UCAN HammerCaps:

http://www.ucanfast.com/products/de...+Cement+&+Glass+Capsules&sc=176&productid=137

But it you are convinced otherwise hilti sells them....not cheap though and they may not fit.

https://www.hilti.ca/anchor-systems/dispensers,-accessories,-testers/284267

The hilti tubes come with 2 tips, if I have any left I shoot it into a zip lock bag and pipe it in.

good idea but I find all the the straws are proprietary to the brand. I only use hilti. They just repackaged the 10oz tube to the dbl separated 2part due how I am set up in there system I only pay $8.50 each and buy 50 -100 at a time. I used to pay $17 for the $23.00 10oz tube. We use miles of that chit. They too come with 1-straw. Just ask them for more they usually give a dozen or free. Try and find hilti store.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
good idea but I find all the the straws are proprietary to the brand. I only use hilti. They just repackaged the 10oz tube to the dbl separated 2part due how I am set up in there system I only pay $8.50 each and buy 50 -100 at a time. I used to pay $17 for the $23.00 10oz tube. We use miles of that chit. They too come with 1-straw. Just ask them for more they usually give a dozen or free. Try and find hilti store.
Are you using HFX? I have an HIT gun, it's cheaper, less waste and dispenses better.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

·
Kowboy
2,464 Posts
Keep the hardened tip as a cap, remove it, and squirt the unmixed adhesives into a Ziplock bag. Mix it , tie it off, and if you pull on the baggie end instead of cutting it, it will elongate then break into a perfect dispensing nipple. And cost about .15 apiece.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Give Fastenal another chance. I also have a smaller store near me. Most things they can get in really fast. Great customer service. All stores are different though.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you're only doing small amounts, RedHead Ramset makes a Derringer kit.....as I remember it's the C6 epoxy, and comes in small, maybe 2-3 oz cartridges......they sometimes show up on ebay for short money.....all of the parts can be bought separately, and are fairly inexpensive....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts