Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am planning to start my own construction business in Columbia, Maryland. I don't have significant experience on site. I currently work for engineering firm involved in various bridge designs and rehabs. Can anyone help me get some exposure by getting involved in their current projects as an estimator or site engineer during weekends or late evenings. I will work for free if I get proper exposure about running a construction firm.

Much Appreciate it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quiet b...

This should be a good one.I'll buy the popcorn.
Sorry I don't have any advice.Actually I do but you won't like it so I'll be quiet.
trying to be a wise ass? huh? Yes, I won't like your lame ass advice so shut up. Shouldn't have commented at all Mr. :censored:

I have enough experience as a site engineer as well as an estimator and have done few remodeling projects in New Jersey.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Sounds like a typical engineer to me.Your first post here and asking for advice and getting pissed cause I have a little fun.
I did the ironwork on all of the rebuilds of the bridges thru the keys in FL including several others.My last job inFLwas running the crew that did the ironwork on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay.Look it up.
My take on engineers is they are like a woman:Can't live with them and can't work without them.I respect the work you do .Proeblem is,it all looks good on paper and you guys usually don't respect the work contractors do making your design work.\
My best advice is:Want to start a company,get some field experience.
Sorry I pissed you off.Not really,with your attitude I enjoyed it.
Wh
en things go wrong how is a estimator going to solve the problem.Charge more>?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a typical engineer to me.Your first post here and asking for advice and getting pissed cause I have a little fun.
I did the ironwork on all of the rebuilds of the bridges thru the keys in FL including several others.My last job inFLwas running the crew that did the ironwork on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay.Look it up.
My take on engineers is they are like a woman:Can't live with them and can't work without them.I respect the work you do .Proeblem is,it all looks good on paper and you guys usually don't respect the work contractors do making your design work.\
Wh
HAHA... this debate has no ends. I have been applying for jobs in all types of construction firms since 6 months or more but no luck. Still haven't given up.

Things don't always go wrong if estimator screws it up.Proper execution of work and skill is needed as well. i know how to coordinate. if estimator is smart enough, he can foresee the problems that might occur due to client or weather related delays as well :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Good luck with the job search.If you have been applying for 6 months with no bites it could be a your attitude.I was just trying to have a little fun with the new guy here and you really copped an attitude with me.
What you are trying to do is high risk and the way I see it ,without some field experience to work out problems that will occur daily you will be fighting a loosing battle.
A lot of the field engineers I worked with in FL were really sharp and understood what the conditions in the field were like and felt confident to make changes on the spot.Others with less experience could not accept a change in the field to make a job work because it all looked good on paper in the office,
Get some field experience and know how to make things work in the field,Be confident in your knowledge to make changes as they need to be made in the field.It will be a lot easier road.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you are looking to start up a civil/bridgework company in this area you are going to need some deep pockets. There are more than a few companies in this area doing that kind of work. Even if you start small and can find some work you are going to need to bankroll it for a few months. I'd say you need to be able to come up with min. 75-100k just to think about a startup in that field. That would be a very small project. Chit, I think we've spent 150-200k in asphalt in the last week or so with our tiny company.

Where have you been looking for work? On a crew, as a super, engineering firms?

·
Registered
585 Posts
How can you estimate without hands on experience? You're trying to fast track something that takes time. Sometimes that works out OK but never well.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Wh
i live just south of that bridge, and it is a true thing of beauty, :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck with the job search.If you have been applying for 6 months with no bites it could be a your attitude.I was just trying to have a little fun with the new guy here and you really copped an attitude with me.
What you are trying to do is high risk and the way I see it ,without some field experience to work out problems that will occur daily you will be fighting a loosing battle.
A lot of the field engineers I worked with in FL were really sharp and understood what the conditions in the field were like and felt confident to make changes on the spot.Others with less experience could not accept a change in the field to make a job work because it all looked good on paper in the office,
Get some field experience and know how to make things work in the field,Be confident in your knowledge to make changes as they need to be made in the field.It will be a lot easier road.
Field Training...thats exactly what I am looking for...but no one is hiring a field engineer or site super.... will keep trying though... thanks for your advice...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maulinshah:

so you stated you work for a firm.

but don't say anything about "your"
experience . maybe that why nobody will hire you.

you have to have some on the job training.
nobody starts at the top.
thanks. But i specify every thing in my resume...

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
So,

You come to this site.

AND on your 1st post want someone to be interested in the new guy.

You want someone to teach you to run the jobs and site.

Then you leave, start your own, become a competitor.

Please , come with a little more info for serious conversations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So,

You come to this site.

AND on your 1st post want someone to be interested in the new guy.

You want someone to teach you to run the jobs and site.

Then you leave, start your own, become a competitor.

Please , come with a little more info for serious conversations.
HAHA..y worry about competition when you are so well defined in your own state.. he who is talented shouldn't worry about competition... i came not begging for help... i came here looking for some one who can show the path or approach....

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Are you willing to "lower" yourself and work as a laborer?

You want to start out as a site super or FIELD engineer, with no FIELD experience. IMO, this is the problem. But what do I know...I don't have a piece of paper that puts letters behind my name.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Unless you can find someone doing night work you are going to have to start at the bottom as paid help and work your way up. With no field exper. No one is going to put you in that role or want to waste a bunch of time training someone to immediately step into it.

·
Registered
Carpentry
245 Posts
People start their own companies when they realize that they have just as much knowledge and experience as the guy who writes the checks.

I think you are really underestimating the importance of the work, experience, and understanding of the grunts, laborers, workers, carpenters, and all the guys on the ground. You cannot just bypass all the knowledge of these guys.

What's gonna happen when one of the workers is has a big problem and you have no idea what he's talking about?

It would be crazy for a guy with only 1 year of field experience to run a company, but with none, it's not gonna happen. There will be too many holes in your understanding of the field.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts