Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I prefer Frank R. Walker's books and software. You can Google it.

·
"Pro"
628 Posts
I'll second the RS Means book, you could even save a few bucks and look into 2009 or 2008 edition (With the economy the past few years editions have been pretty close)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'll second the RS Means book, you could even save a few bucks and look into 2009 or 2008 edition (With the economy the past few years editions have been pretty close)
I wouldn't go by the material costs in the 2008 edition because just about everything was at the pinnacle of pricing.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,434 Posts
We use the National Construction Estimator Suite and it's okay but some of the prices seem to be too low. It does give us an idea on things we normally don't do.................

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
True, I've looked at some of the numbers on the Craftsmen National Construction Estimator and thought no way. According to them it takes two guys half hour to nail on one ten foot deck board :blink:

Some of their prices or times will be too high, some will be too low, but most are pretty good. You have to double check and make sure they are kosher to yourself, or your business.

·
Registered
917 Posts
try reading a book called handbook to construction contracting & estimating. I think its by Jack P Jones. Great book and shows good scenarios to estimate accurately.

I also use RS Means 2009 and its alright. Just gives you a basic idea but you need to know your pricing/labor from your own numbers.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is one better than the other?

Thanks again.

Does anyone see a difference between an RS Means "Repair & Remodeling Cost Data Book" @ $144.95

vs

"F.R. Walker Remodeling Reference Book" @ $20 / year online subscription? Is one that much better than the other is what I'm asking.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Thanks again.

Does anyone see a difference between an RS Means "Repair & Remodeling Cost Data Book" @ $144.95

vs

"F.R. Walker Remodeling Reference Book" @ $20 / year online subscription? Is one that much better than the other is what I'm asking.

I have always used the RS Means and found it more accurate than others mentioned, but if you want to try the cheaper...., Who knows??:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts