Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed a GFI plug and for some reason it's not working. I'm assuming I wired it correctly since the little LED light comes on. What could be wrong?

Electronics Wall socket Technology Electronic device Electrical supply

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Some GFCI's light up when they are tripped. And this one looks tripped.

Did you press the Reset button?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
No I didn't push reset button
Seeing how it's tripped (many GFCI's do that when they're powered up for the first time), you may want to try that.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I hate the ones that stay lit up when they aren't tripped. Had a few customers paint the little light with a sharpie.
I just wish they're get it standardized. Some light up to show they're working, others light up to indicate a trip.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I just wish they're get it standardized. Some light up to show they're working, others light up to indicate a trip.
I started reading the instructions on them so that I will know. I would love a standard...until then...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I started reading the instructions on them so that I will know....
That's kinda hard to do when a customer calls and says, "Well the little light on it is lit............"

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
Depending on the model, the green light mearly means that the wires behind it are live, nothing more.

If you wired load and line backwards, they have a safety feature where the green light comes on, but nothing works. I know, I just fixed one doing the very same thing last week.

You can try switching line and load, and see if that works, but if you don't know how to subsequently check for proper wiring, you probably shouldn't.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
That's kinda hard to do when a customer calls and says, "Well the little light on it is lit............"
Oh silly me, I thought that topic was installing one, since that was what the OP is discussing.

But I'll bite, tell them to press test then reset. If it doesn't power up, then schedule a service call. :thumbsup:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
For what? It's not uncommon for multiple members to post the same answer. Stop being an ass.
Once again I am reminded why I shouldn't bother posting in the Electrical section.

I'm done here. I'm off to take a class on how to be a 12-year-old of limited mental capacity.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
Once again I am reminded why I shouldn't bother posting in the Electrical section.

I'm done here. I'm off to take a class on how to be a 12-year-old of limited mental capacity.
Not everyone who posts here, shows up just to fight, and the one's that do, usually do it everywhere. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts