Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Need Electrical Technical Assistance

3339 Views 36 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  TNTRenovate
I changed a GFI plug and for some reason it's not working. I'm assuming I wired it correctly since the little LED light comes on. What could be wrong?

Electronics Wall socket Technology Electronic device Electrical supply
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Some GFCI's light up when they are tripped. And this one looks tripped.

Did you press the Reset button?
In what way is it not working?
No I didn't push reset button
i plugged in a radio and lamp neither one worked.
Seeing how it's tripped (many GFCI's do that when they're powered up for the first time), you may want to try that.
No I didn't push reset button
I hate the ones that stay lit up when they aren't tripped. Had a few customers paint the little light with a sharpie.
Have an electrician look at it. 2 hour minimum.
I just wish they're get it standardized. Some light up to show they're working, others light up to indicate a trip.
I hate the ones that stay lit up when they aren't tripped. Had a few customers paint the little light with a sharpie.
Did you hook the wires to the load side instead of the line side? The ones I use show a red light when they are tripped.
Then we could have a new thread about Electricians making too much money.
Have an electrician look at it. 2 hour minimum.
I'll be right over , Have a check for $179 ready..:thumbup:
I changed a GFI plug and for some reason it's not working. I'm assuming I wired it correctly since the little LED light comes on. What could be wrong?

View attachment 107936
I started reading the instructions on them so that I will know. I would love a standard...until then...
I just wish they're get it standardized. Some light up to show they're working, others light up to indicate a trip.
That's kinda hard to do when a customer calls and says, "Well the little light on it is lit............"
I started reading the instructions on them so that I will know....
Depending on the model, the green light mearly means that the wires behind it are live, nothing more.

If you wired load and line backwards, they have a safety feature where the green light comes on, but nothing works. I know, I just fixed one doing the very same thing last week.

You can try switching line and load, and see if that works, but if you don't know how to subsequently check for proper wiring, you probably shouldn't.
Oh silly me, I thought that topic was installing one, since that was what the OP is discussing.

But I'll bite, tell them to press test then reset. If it doesn't power up, then schedule a service call. :thumbsup:
That's kinda hard to do when a customer calls and says, "Well the little light on it is lit............"
Yer too late.

...........But I'll bite, tell them to press test then reset. If it doesn't power up, then schedule a service call. :thumbsup:
Seeing how it's tripped (many GFCI's do that when they're powered up for the first time), you may want to try that.
For what? It's not uncommon for multiple members to post the same answer. Stop being an ass.
Yer too late.
Once again I am reminded why I shouldn't bother posting in the Electrical section.

I'm done here. I'm off to take a class on how to be a 12-year-old of limited mental capacity.
For what? It's not uncommon for multiple members to post the same answer. Stop being an ass.
Not everyone who posts here, shows up just to fight, and the one's that do, usually do it everywhere. :thumbsup:
Once again I am reminded why I shouldn't bother posting in the Electrical section.

I'm done here. I'm off to take a class on how to be a 12-year-old of limited mental capacity.
Reactions: aptpupil
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.