Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am supposed to be on the job in 2 hrs. I NEED today and tomorrow off to catch up and maintain my business. Don't like upsetting customers. These are the customers that act like you're their employee if you show up late...even though the end result is the same (great quality delivered on time. What to do? Thanks guys!!!

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,951 Posts
Not to be harsh, but sounds like an "emergency" of your own making. What makes it so imperative to PO your client with only an hour's notice?

·
Registered
436 Posts
If I were the customer, I would be a little upset with you not showing with a few hours notice. A different story if you tell me you aren't able to be there tomorrow.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,702 Posts
Piss-poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Reactions: Newdesign

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Is this a I need to be at two jobs at once? Or a my buddy is going fishing and I want to go?

If its actually two customers, I would explain to the second customer the situation and work out an arrangement, although its hard to believe you just notice 2 hours before a job your double booked.

But like others have said its your company run it how you want.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
pinwheel said:
Pick up the phone & be honest about what's going on. Good communication & keeping your word solves most customer problems before they become problems.
Exactly, just say sorry and explain that you do value their time but it is unavoidable. Next time you show up, bring a small gift. Don't offer a discount, just bring a 10 dollar Starbucks gift card.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Run your business. If my customers treated me like an employee, Id fire their ass! Try to be more courteous next time. Im sure you saw it coming try to be proactive. Like it was mentioned man up and work a double. If you're home before 8 pm tonight you suck.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
As said above, people are generally very understanding if you are honest with them......ONE TIME.
Yeah just don't keep bumping off the same client multiple times in a row.

Unless they are slow payers and a pain in the arse....then you can treat them like dirt. :laughing:

·
Registered
819 Posts
should have given the customer 24-48 hour notice that you couldnt make it

no excuse for 2 hour notice...you will look bad at this point

id be honest with the customer about whatever the reason is....dont make an excuse....take the blame for the f-up

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
You just joined a contractor forum to ask online what to do with a basic business decision? Stay home and play with the Xbox.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.