Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a paint sprayer so I can redo some cabinets with primer and then paint them. I read that the Wagner Airless type sprayers don't work well or not at all. They clog up too easily and are just a headache. Is there a paint sprayer out there that is decent for the home projects and yet doesn't break the bank? Some said to go with the smaller Grado units but I know nothing about sprayers.
I do have an air compressor but I read that those types of cannister air sprayers make a terrible overspray for fine work. Help out a fellow who know nothing about sprayers.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,178 Posts
Airless or Air Assisted Airless sprayers are professional equipment. Unless you can find a steal on a used one, you aren't gonna get one of these units on a budget. A siphon gun will produce a good amount of overspray. A HVLP gun will do a lot better, but probably won't do well with latex or oils because they will need ot be thinned to much to be atomized properly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It really depends how often you plan on using the sprayer.

The small gracos are great, small titans are great too. Don't get the ones from Big Box stores, they are not worth their weight and not worth repairing once they break.

Getting a used sprayer is the best bang for your buck but if you keep your eye out for sales, a new graco 390 will last you pretty well forever when properly maintained:thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you're just doing the one job, you can rent some pretty nice equipment without losing your shirt. Don't kid yourself, you will have to mask off the entire room, seal it off from the rest of the house, and preferably set up some negative airflow with a fan blowing out of a window.

·
Pro
63 Posts
I wouldn't be spraying any cabinets on your first attempt at using a sprayer, unless they're your own :whistling

That said, check your local classified ads for used airless equipment. Look out for anything graco (390, 395, 490, 495), small spraytechs are alright, or you can get a DIY titan sprayer from HD for about $300 which works OK.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a wagner sprayer, paid about 300 about 10 years ago. It has served me well, even for fixing the mistakes of the painters $3000 unit. I'm now doing more volume and find that it can't keep up for latex and doing entire houses. I find it works best for cabinets, polyurethanes, and small additions. Makes sure you use the right size spray tip.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok if one was to buy a Wagner sprayer which one would be the best? I see there is a newer hand held power plus unit that seems to put out more pressure than the other Wagner canister sprayers. I will probably never use it again after painting these couple cabinets so I hate to blow a bundle of cash when something smaller could get me by. Renting a huge sprayer seems like overkill for this small project.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am spraying a couple wall cabinets in my laundry room. I am using latex primer and latex paint. Sorry I just assumed now a days every one used latex for interior paint work. Should have been more clear.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
HVLP would be hard to do unless you have an expensive unit. Airless will make a huge mess, you have to watch all the overspray, gets everywhere, but it can be done. Do not expect it to look like an oil/LAQ based job with Latex. The primer has to be smooth. Water base raises the grain so you need to sand after the primer, tack cloth surfaces.
Gleempaint.com might have some recon units. New, the best deal is an older graco 190es that is fine for limited use. $500 over the web.
I have used the fine foam mini rollers and they will give good results on flat surfaces,slight orange peal, I add Floetrol for leveling, either method.
Honestly , latex is not a good choice unless these are utility use cabs. I would never do that on Kitchen cabs.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are old dark cabinets on the wall in my laundry room that I need to make white. I don't have to use latex paint I just thought it would be more user friendly is all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't use a foam roller if your looking for quality. I have a graco 4900 HVLP (High volume low pressure) fine finish sprayer. Thats what I would use. Try renting one. Mine sprays latex (check that before you rent). The HVLP has very little overspray compared to an airless. And when you spray, less paint, more air for a finer finish. If you were going to roll, as opposed to foam, try a 5ml roller - i think you'll get better results.

·
Registered
696 Posts
They are old dark cabinets on the wall in my laundry room that I need to make white. I don't have to use latex paint I just thought it would be more user friendly is all.
Hy tek,

R con turned me on to a product called Cabinet coat. I just did a kitchen using the Cabinet coat applied with a whizz flock roller. It seriously looks like a spray finish without the hassle. This stuff is pretty much bullet proof. It dried overnight hard as a rock, (real durable)

It's way more user friendly than spraying with real good results.

BTW....

Alec is brilliant!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hy tek,

R con turned me on to a product called Cabinet coat. I just did a kitchen using the Cabinet coat applied with a whizz flock roller. It seriously looks like a spray finish without the hassle. This stuff is pretty much bullet proof. It dried overnight hard as a rock, (real durable)

It's way more user friendly than spraying with real good results.

BTW....

Alec is brilliant. :laughing:
Cabinet coat is good stuff. I keep a supply of it in popular white/off white colors.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've never seen that Cabinet Coat at the hardware store. Is this a special order item or would they have it at Menards or Home Depot?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts