Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Hitachi twin tank compressor decided to fry itself last week in the middle of a job. So I ran to Wal-Mart and bought a little Campbell Hausfeld 1 gallon pancake compressor :laughing::no: just so I could finish the job.

Anyway that leaves me in the market for a good small(ish) compressor.

I have a $100 gift card to Tractor Supply, they have a Ingersoll Rand 2 HP 4 Gallon Twinstack that looks nice for $299, so with the card I could get it for $200 + tax.

OR

I was looking at Rolair and really like the looks of the VT20TB.

This is primarily for trim guns but I do occasionally run a framer when doing decks.

I know both are overkill for trim guns but I'd rather have too much than not enough. ;)

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
California air tools, (4610a I think) super quiet (you can carry on a conversation next to it while it's running), under 8 amp draw, and aluminum tanks (lighter, longer lasting).

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
jhark123 said:
Maybe if you are slow as :censored:
I thought we were talking about deck building, not sheathing a house. It'll do 15 or so nails in 10 or so seconds before it won't sink, it takes about 15 seconds to re fill. More then enough for framing decks.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Robinson1 said:
My old Hitachi twin tank compressor decided to fry itself last week in the middle of a job. So I ran to Wal-Mart and bought a little Campbell Hausfeld 1 gallon pancake compressor :laughing::no: just so I could finish the job. Anyway that leaves me in the market for a good small(ish) compressor. I have a $100 gift card to Tractor Supply, they have a Ingersoll Rand 2 HP 4 Gallon Twinstack that looks nice for $299, so with the card I could get it for $200 + tax. OR I was looking at Rolair and really like the looks of the VT20TB. This is primarily for trim guns but I do occasionally run a framer when doing decks. I know both are overkill for trim guns but I'd rather have too much than not enough. ;)
I have that Vt20TB and it is a great compressor I run two guns all the time with no problem. It really gets a workout when two guys are using TC-G clips. It's also continuously duty rated meaning it can run continuously without burning it up or voiding the warranty. It very quiet as well. It has a cast iron cylinder that will make it last a long time. The reason it's so quiet is because it has a huge bore and only needs to operate at half the RPM's most compressors need.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
I thought we were talking about deck building, not sheathing a house. It'll do 15 or so nails in 10 or so seconds before it won't sink, it takes about 15 seconds to re fill. More then enough for framing decks.
If your using the TC-G clip from fastenmaster and running two guns at once you will need something bigger.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I'm by no means trying to sway any opinion either, but the jc10 is awesome from finish work, and the random framing nailer, but I do have a honda powered rolair gas compressor that does most of our work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rolair hands down. I do light framing with my jc10, but have a gas powered one for the big stuff. Everyone who heard my jc10 is impressed with how quite it is. I've had four people go buy one after using mine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the IR compressor and have been satisified with it. The one bad thing that I can say about it is that it is loud. If its outside, not so bad. In a smallish room, its loud. I like that it is continuous duty, but for the most part I'm not running larger guns. I think the IR or the rolair are about as beefy as you are going to get before you move up to a larger machine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts