Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've never had the pleasure of having to replace one, but I believe nailite has a panel replacement kit.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Go to NAPA or another auto parts store they have a tool that costs about $7 that looks like a heavy awl with a 90 degree bend about an inch from the tip. You can jab that up and use it to pry the stuff apart. HINT the more of these tools you have the easier it is. Those shakes look like certainteed cedar impressions which are the harder brand to work with. If thats the case you will have to get one of their repair kits to re-attach the stuff when you are done.

Also all of this gets installed from the bottom right corner and gets installed to the left. Keep that in mind as you take it apart. In many cases if the wall isnt that big, its easier just to strip the whole wall and put it all back together, sometimes its actually faster, and you can re-use all the pieces.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
cut the damaged panel length wise a few inches below the top lock
remove the lower piece and use a flat bar under the top piece to remove the nails
cut the top locking tabs off the new piece of siding
lock the new panel in ,sliding the top under the existing panel
line up the temperature markings you will see at the panel top
pre drill some holes in the bottom of the panel that is over the panel your replacing so the nail goes thru both panels

or do like Patrick says and pull down the section ,and re do it

the siding looks like ct but the corner dont

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Go to NAPA or another auto parts store they have a tool that costs about $7 that looks like a heavy awl with a 90 degree bend about an inch from the tip.

You can jab that up and use it to pry the stuff apart. HINT the more of these tools you have the easier it is.
It is called a cotter pin puller.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cotter+pin+puller&rlz=1R2GGLL_en&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Sears, NAPA, Snap-On Tools, etc...They all carry them.

We used them for years to inspect the seams on single ply membrane roofs. Just dull the tip a bit, so it doesn't slice through the roof.

Ed

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll most likely remove the small wall. The new cricket will go up about 8". I am also concerned about work around the corner.
Typical of what I see when flashing is cut nice and neat around the corner. Water is running into the wall at the corner.:censored:

A new gutter and DS system will be used too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah my stomach went sour when I saw that picture. Yeah I would deff tear down the whole wall. Also BE CAREFULL! the small vertical ridges on those panels scuff extremely easily! If they scuff, they will look powdery white and there is no way of smoothing it out. Handle with care...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts