Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone can help me here. I had a wood stain spillage on a new concrete slab yesterday at work. Jammed up to the local hardware and used Mason's Select Concrete Cleaner. It looks like it got about 85 percent of it out. Any one know a way to get a better result? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Oh, man, that sucks.
I'd try it again.
Maybe a concrete colour stain for the whole slab.
Hope someone can offer a better answer.
Good luck

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was oil based. I feel like had I thrown a hand full of sawdust on it before I raced to the store, I might have had better results with the clean up. Or better, diatomaceous earth but who has that handy? I will now when I work with oil based paint and stain.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,069 Posts
It was oil based. I feel like had I thrown a hand full of sawdust on it before I raced to the store, I might have had better results with the clean up. Or better, diatomaceous earth but who has that handy? I will now when I work with oil based paint and stain.

Disposable diapers are handy, too, and they'll soak up a lot of - well, you know:whistling

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
how about some muratic acid?I have cleaned oil stains from my truck off customers driveways with it.Didn't know it leaked.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
A last resort if there's still a noticeable stain after trying real hard.
Fog coat the general area with the same cement powder diluted down and sprayed thru a garden sprayer with the the tip opened fully. Hopefully, the spill wasn't at foot traffic area.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

Any detergent would have been helpful to break it down before it absorbed deeply. On highway spills, Dawn is the agent of choice.

Absorb, break down remainder of it, then remove stain by bleaching color out of the remaining pigment/dye.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty sure muratic acid is a bit too strong and will etch too much in to the concrete. I'm going down there today armed with oxalic acid and some powder cleanser to give it another go. Maybe some Dawn as well. I'll report back here so we can all learn from my mistake. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts