Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need advice - wall squat rack on metal studs. Is bracing required?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Tinstaafl 
#1 ·
I have a commercial office space with metal studs. I want to wall mount the squat rack onto the metal studs and I need some advice on what would be needed?

My thought is the main weight of the rack and weights would be held by the 4 legs and floor, but I'm trying to avoid tearing into the wall for bracing. Any other recommendations?

Could I add a large painted piece of plywood on the wall to mount the squat rack to? Would that add strength? I'd probably have a mirror installed to cover it anyway.

Thanks!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #10 ·
Put the plywood up to have attachment flexibility. Mount it to the studs, then attach the rack to it.
That’s what I was hoping to do. Just wanted to make sure the plywood would add enough stability rather than having to open up the wall and brace in between the studs.

Do whatever Rogue recommends for installation.

Did you already purchase the rack? Wall mounts don't take up any less space than a stand alone rack, I would rather just get one that can be placed anywhere without having to attach it to a wall.
Yeah, I already purchased it. Rogue makes it very clear they have zero recommendations for installation into metal studs, they always say contact a licensed contractor. I’m sure it’s a liability thing.

The folding rack sticks out about 5” off the wall when folded.

The smallest standing rack they have sticks out 30” off the wall. Even if I got the standing one, I’d still have to bolt it into the floor so it wouldn’t be very movable either.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
You can put a couple of sticks of unistrut.

You can attach the ends above the ceiling to the floor...

We would attach the strut to the stud with toggles. Then put a swing arm mount with a 50" plasma screen. ( that's when clients didn't want open the walls) had contractors put strut in the wall before as well.

Plasma screen was about 120# and the swing arm mount was around 85# and would come off the wall at 3'.

Plywood will work as well. 20 gauge studs?
Add the unistrut to the outside of the wall? I’m confused where the unistrut would go if we didn’t want to open up the wall.
The squat rack comes with a steel stringer, too.

Im not sure what gauge studs, because it was an existing wall when we started the office build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.