Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Surface Repair & Restore
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice from fellow artisans on what route to take for my next job. My customer just bought this house and wants things freshened up. He has a long list of items so I have a tight budget. For the patio he wants the cracks repaired, then later mentioned maybe giving it a top coat on the upper and lower levels. He liked my idea of acid staining and work with the cracks to give it the stone look. The slab on the lower level has a faded red color which he likes so he wants both levels done the same. I'll attach some pictures for you to take a look and tell me what you come up with....Thanks:thumbup: Furniture Iron Table Tile Floor

Floor Property Flooring Tile Flagstone

Asphalt Road surface Driveway Walkway Concrete

Floor Flooring Property Tile Room

Floor Tile Flooring Wood Chair

Floor Tile Property Flooring Room

·
Surface Repair & Restore
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More Pics. These are of the upper level.

The customer isn't worried about the cracks being level after repaired. And he isn't looking for or expecting perfection either. He wants the best finished product that a tight budget can get him. I'm hoping to have some fun with this one. Thanks for your input!:thumbup:

Floor Water Flooring Concrete Line

Water Floor Asphalt Soil Sand

Wall Concrete Floor Cement Plaster

Floor Flooring Tile Table Chair

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
You probably won't be satisfied with any top coat solutions. Like Big Shoe said pavers over the top would work.

Once again though, the right way to do it is to tear it out, redo the base and start fresh.

Maybe just sell him on a pressure wash and acid stain until he can save up enough for a tear out.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
I'd have fun on that job,l Many products, from Master Emaco, to Mapei's grouts, can be used.
you can cut across the cracks to do a "stitch repair" with imbedded rebar, then use a repair mortar to plaster over the surface. or even a waterproff liquid membrane, that can be left exposed, or be covered with tiles, stones, whatever.
in my experience their "should" be a 40-60% savings, that will endear in time
Good luck

·
Surface Repair & Restore
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im doing the lower patio now. How much would you guys charge for this type of job because it seems like way to much work for what I charged. I'll tell you what I charged after I get some numbers from ya'll.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I would do it for tree-fiddy and I honestly would not put my name on the job in the pictures.I'm not a concrete guy but if I can't do a job right I don't do it.Budget or not.I guess if the customer is cool with it and you made money it's OK.I just don't work like that.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Disclaimer:I'm not here to dis anyones work and don't think I ever have.Don;t know what you used the fill the cracks but it look like it shrunk and you never bothered to go back and feather it in.The finish could have been blended better.
You posted "not bad for a first time" yet your tag is specialty trade surface repair.
What's up with the slab on the right side of the bottom pic?
JMHO

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I understand that your customer's budget is tight and that it's already more work than you anticipated, but I don't think you're done quite yet.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Yeah tear out is the only solution, plus it's just going to continue to crack because there is obviously a under lying problem there.

What about using a 1/2" grinding blade in a 4" grinder and scoring the surface to add more "faux" cracks to make the big ones blend better and maybe make it somewhat of a designer look? Just make a bunch of random looking cracks. If you only slightly score the top it shouldn't affect the strength of the concrete. Just a thought

·
Registered
686 Posts
But that reminds me of the phrase "Lipstick on a pig"
In light of the fact that the guy wants to do it for next to nothing, I suppose it's fine. If it needs surgery, but the owner wants to just go with a band-aid, you give 'em the band-aid.

Maybe throw on a couple of fake eyelashes on that pig as well, you know, so folks don't focus on the lips......:whistling

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts
What about using a 1/2" grinding blade in a 4" grinder and scoring the surface to add more "faux" cracks to make the big ones blend better and maybe make it somewhat of a designer look? Just make a bunch of random looking cracks. If you only slightly score the top it shouldn't affect the strength of the concrete. Just a thought
I agree, that's what I thought he was going to do in the first place.

He liked my idea of acid staining and work with the cracks to give it the stone look. Thanks:thumbup:
D.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Grind out the cracks, caulk with polyurethane sealant ( basf brand np1 or equivalent) neatly and flush. You can even use the grinder to make additional "new cracks" for looks. Caulk is elastomeric and will flex with shifting. Or maybe an epoxy coating? Or both? Lots of possibilities. Or just rip the thing out and pour new lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts