Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "HATE" paperwork and i'm looking for some kind of system that will simplify the process of keeping good records. I thought about trying out the following below digital filing scanner but it had a lot of bad reviews. Any info on an easy and efficient filing system would be appreciated.

www.tryneat.com

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Hire a book keeper office admin. I did a couple of months ago and I have never felt so damned organized.
Bingo, pay someone to type all your crap up on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Get one of those large notebooks, and store all receipts in it. Sort it by store. Also, enter each invoice on an excell spread sheet (date, invoice #, job name, price and general description of materials). It's really not all that hard. Believe me, I know where you are coming from.

Get a separate notebook for Govt agencies, insurance, ...etc. If you get in the habit of filing all papers as soon as you get them, you will be suprised at how much smoother things can go.

Just saying, Excell can really be a great tool. Once you get familiar with the basics. It's really not all that hard.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I find that empty gun nail boxes are just the right size.

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Registered
Remodel
31,595 Posts
It all depends on what kind of paperwork you're talking about. I'll get one of those spiral bound notebooks of college ruled paper - 2 dividers, so three sections for a specific project. One section I tape or staple in receipts as they come in, one is for design info, one is for written customer communication. Receipts get put into excel.

This works for smaller projects. Big projects I've used an entirely different approach, but it still winds up being a project file - just a 4 drawer filing cabinet, index, doc control numbers, etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I "HATE" paperwork and i'm looking for some kind of system that will simplify the process of keeping good records. I thought about trying out the following below digital filing scanner but it had a lot of bad reviews. Any info on an easy and efficient filing system would be appreciated.

www.tryneat.com
I have used Neat. It works fine but is rather slow. I would suggest going totally paperless. We hired a consultant to help with this and we are about 50% paperless now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts