Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I would love the Stabila, at this time I just can't make that kind of investment. Any recommendations on level brands without the cost shocker.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Menards house brand is made by stabila... There a little cheaper than the branded ones

·
Registered
573 Posts
What size level you want? Stabila's type 80a levels are inexpensive. They only up to 72" though. Can usually get a deal on the type 80 3 pack 4',2', & torpedo.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I've been looking at the Bostitch levels in big blue. Reasonably priced and seem to be pretty sturdy. Only downfall I see is they don't have the continuous beam across the level vial. At least some of the ones in the store don't.

Not a deal breaker, but a small missed detail when so many other levels have it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Anybody ROCKIN wood levels here.

I have a whole slew of Stabila's. Got about doubles in the 24, 48 as I picked up the digitals after I got the 196. Even ordered some of the cast levels from overseas and had them shipped.

However, as crazy as it sounds, I grab my Cricks more often .
I prefer the *resolution* of the vials of the Cricks and than anything else. +, they are a joy to hold.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've been looking at Empires with the blue vials. We have one in tool trailer for tile work, and even though the vial is covered in mortar residue, it seems easier to read to me than a green or yellow one.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Look at the Sola levels.
:thumbsup:

From what I have been reading,Sola is not only a tad less money than a Stabila,they have a few better features. Also,they really are NOT the new kid on the block (just entered N.American market) later in the game. They are an older company than Stabila. Also read they are the largest level maker in the world !

When I need some new / additional levels,Sola will get my business.

·
Registered
786 Posts
i have a set of empire true blue levels onty complaint is the becel edge ,not to flash for running a pencil down other than that they seem to be pretty hardy

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
The Stabilas are solid investments. I bought my first one 15 years ago and it still reads true. I have 3 total and even though they are expensive, the accuracy and durability make them worth every penny. I like the fact that they are yellow also. Makes them harder to leave laying around the jobsite.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have all the menand's stabilas 16'' through 8'. They are all good levels. In hindsight Sola is what i should have purchased. I am going to get a stabila r shaped screed level though for mudbeds.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been looking at Empires with the blue vials. We have one in tool trailer for tile work, and even though the vial is covered in mortar residue, it seems easier to read to me than a green or yellow one.
Empires might work for a nice straight edge.......might.:no::no:

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Love my Stabila's...have a couple of Johnson levels that are good, have an Empire and been happy with it. Hated the Fat Max level, Stabila is the way to go though. I have the digital 4' and use it every chance I get, fricken love that level.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I've had Empires most of my life.............Take care of them and they will last. Johnson 4 footers are also good.

Mostly used for metal framing and drywall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts