Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody give me some advice on exterior trim for an 1826, 2.5 story, side-gable Greek Revival? Owners want to make it more ornate. The facade is fine, will maybe add some dentil molding above the frieze, but the west side of the house (gable side) is where I need advice. There is a side door they would like to dress us with pilasters and a pediment. I want to be historically correct and am planning fluted pilasters and a peaked cap pediment with dentil trim. As for the windows, I'm planning dentil crossheads (the house has shutters so we'll stop there). Owners also asked about ornament for the frieze but aside from dentil molding I believe the frieze should be left alone. Any thoughts from you restoration experts. Thanks. MIKE.

·
Eater of sins.
4,497 Posts
Go with Corinthian style pilasters or Ionic at the least, fluted is very nice with traditional taper. You could go with a simple built-up cove style corner molding above the dentil depending on the size of the frieze but not an Ogee style, I think.

In the big gables no dentil but a simple geometric non curved yet fairly big detail on the rakes and returns.

Does this make sense?

Andy.

·
Registered
493 Posts
snag the book elements of style, it should give you pictures of the period, and some ideas of details, the other idea is to hit uo the local historic society for pictures of houses in your area and from those, ideas on regional details used at the time of construction. A call to the staff for the landmarks commission might reveal a few other souces of details.. pic's, literature or like houses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts