Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to drill into granite three holes approximately 1 inch deep each using a 1/4" drill bit. What drill bit type would you recommend and do i need to spray the bit with water.

Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
a masonry bit, tape your depth, will be fortunate if you don't break the bit if you've never drilled masonry. Can use a drill for, what are you doing tapcons.. even a 1/8" or other size bit to pilot the holes. I thought your thread was going to be about bigger holes, but yeah straightforward there

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
It'll be easier than you think. I just drilled an 1-1/2" hole in a finished granite vanity top fairly easily. Took a little elbow grease but was easier than I expected. A quality bit is key.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
It'll be easier than you think. I just drilled an 1-1/2" hole in a finished granite vanity top fairly easily. Took a little elbow grease but was easier than I expected. A quality bit is key.
Agreed! Also keeping the bit cool will allow the bit to hold the edge longer. So a little water dripped on the hole while drilling will help.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I don't often have to drill into stone or concrete I don't want to spend a lot on a hammer drill. What hammer drill would you recommend that's not expensive and would do the job.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've done it and used putty as a dam to keep a little bit of water on the cutting area. Probably overkill, but the bit is still good. Normally I leave it up to the stone guys.
Oh, and a hammer drill may have some unwanted results.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've done it and used putty as a dam to keep a little bit of water on the cutting area. Probably overkill, but the bit is still good. Normally I leave it up to the stone guys.
Oh, and a hammer drill may have some unwanted results.
I definitely would not use putty, the oils in putty will stain the granite, some plumbers still don't know this and they get staining around fixture mounts. Duct tape works better

·
Registered
155 Posts
I definitely would not use putty, the oils in putty will stain the granite, some plumbers still don't know this and they get staining around fixture mounts. Duct tape works better
You see why I tend to leave it to the stone guys? I think I'm doing myself a favor and I'm just lucky I didn't f#$# the whole thing up!

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Ive been eying the cordless screwgun/hammer drill that are out there, about 240 for the Milwaukee I think.

Other then that you can buy one of the dewalt cheapo hammer drills for 80-100 I think.

buy 2 or 3 bits, its easier to return them than to go pick up another one in the middle of whatever your doing.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Get non staining putty.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Get non staining putty.
I asked my plumber and granite guys about that and they said to stay away from it so I have.
My plumber doesn't like it because he felt it dried out, and the granite guys said some of it still stains especially lighter colored marble. So I just want to play it safe and not use it.
My granite guy uses duct tape or those rubber rings with a little silicone on the back, and cleans up with with DA or Acetone.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
You can buy diamond hole saws fairly inexpensive. Wet or dry...slow and steady...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Patsfanindallas said:
you say that as if they don't make 1/4" core bits. That being said, I guess it could be a solid bit just the same.
ya know what, I think I take back my previous statement. If I needed 1/4" holes in a granite top, I would use a 1/4" hole saw bit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts