Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,078 Posts
Hello Project 63 and welcome to CT.

Unfortunately... gonna give it to you straight... you're chances of getting the B classification are slim to zilch.

Permits, contracts, etc would have to be in your name.

One path you could take is... the cslb has been passing off apps to be investigated and sending the applicant to the exam at the same time. You could take the exam, pass it, then withdraw your app. That passing score will be good for 5 yrs, and during that time you could be stockpiling documentation.

So without w-2's, pay stubs, contracts or permits in your name... the cslb will say no.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,078 Posts
Hello JMoney. Welcome to CT.

The C8 is not a critical classification and it doesn't automatically trigger the request for additional docs. Being 22 will pull that trigger. If you can't document at least 4 yrs of journeyman level experience, they will deny you a license. I'd suggest waiting at least 2 yrs before applying.

The certifier won't be asked for his/her SSN.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,078 Posts
My kid had to withdraw his application (B) because they said he needed more information for to verify his self employed experience. I certified a few months of his work experience and they wanted MY tax records....
So, he has applied again and we hoped he wouldn't get flagged a second time - but he did. So, in order to prove the work he has claimed on the 'Work Experience Certificates' we hope by getting his certifiers to sign material receipts, invoices and check stubs for all the jobs he's done will suffice. The woman running the investigation seems to have little patience and has already sent him a letter explaining consequences of being denied the application, ie denial is on your permanent record and you must disclose denial on all future applications - whereas withdrawal is not Recorded and you can re-apply right away. One ray of hope: It looks like, he won't have to take the exam again since he took it w/in 5 yrs.
I'm thinking it might be best or easier to withdraw and immediately re-apply in hopes of not being flagged a third time...?
The current underground reg makes it mandatory for B applicants (and the 7 other so called "critical classifications") to provide paper proof of the experience. So withdrawing the app and re-applying won't change anything. If nothing changes at the CSLB (aka Constantly Stupid License Board), you could re-apply in a couple three years and still have to prove your experience on paper.

The law requires that the applicants knowledge be tested with a written examination. The uber-smart people making up the rules have made the exams a moot point.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,078 Posts
I'm gonna take a guess at those 'critical classifications'.

General A

General B

C-10 Electrical

C-36 Plumbing

C-16 Fire Protection

C-4 Boiler and Steam Fitting

C-51 Structural Steel

And for the last I can't decide betweeen;

C-57 Water Well Drilling

C-60 Welding

How'd I do?
Close...

A
B
C10
C16
C20
C36
C38
C57

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,078 Posts
I find it to be strange when the CSLB asks for additional proof for work experience because I have licenses for 9 trade classifications and was never asked for additional proof for work experience.

I would send some additional Work Experience Application Forms filled out by people who know you and attach a letter stating that you never obtained a permit nor an inspection because you worked with another contractor. No employee, friend nor partner is required to obtain permits when working with, or under someone else.

I think applicants read too much into what is required to qualify for a license. I don't believe that tax records, etc. are necessary to qualify because you could have worked with your father, or a friend and all you should need is one (1) person to sign one (1) Work Experience Application Form. My opinion is that you either did, or you did not and the reason for the Work Experience Verification Form is to verify that you did. Also, I don't think the person signing the Work Experience Application has to submit proof nor records because he is not the person being investigated.

Not every person gets paid money when they get work experience and to qualify for a B general building contractor you can get all the work experience you need doing the trades required by working for free on your homes, rental units your relatives, your friends and neighbors.

Suppose, during the past 5 years you built 2 homes all by yourself with absolutely no help and only 1 person on this planet knows that you built these homes, or you remodeled only 2 kitchens. If the work performed is within the requirements and these jobs took you 5 years then you have the work experience you need and your mother's or father's signature on the Work Experience form should be enough.

If you did the work then you should qualify with or without proof and the proof should be sufficient when the signature is on the Work Experience Application Form.

Don't be a chicken and fight for what is right. I find that the CSLB workers are just normal people trying to week out the weirdos and they are willing to listen and work with you on the phone. Write a letter, first, then call on the phone and back up what you wrote.
Well...... if any of this were true, what a wonderful world we'd be living in. But.... this just isn't the case.

There are specific laws the cslb uses for some of their actions, and there are underground regs they've created to allow them to do what they want.

1) Additional work experience forms won't make a difference.
2) The law does state that the cslb can ask for any additional documentation necessary to prove your experience.
3) There is nothing in the law that says the cslb can't send a verification form of some type to the certifier/employer, even though they've already signed the certifier section of the app.
4) Building 2 homes in 5 yrs does not a contractor make. The law requires that you have at least 4 yrs at the journeyman level. Building 2 homes in 5 yrs does not, necessarily, make someone a journeyman.
5) Although mom or dad could sign your experience form, but do they have the skills and knowledge to know that the work done was done at the journeyman level?
6) I've been fighting for what is right for many years, so have many others in my industry, yet, the cslb still does whatever they want. I too say fight, but if the cslb wants to see ABC and you give them XYZ, they will not give you a license.
) Call first. If you have the techs number, call! If you can't get a hold of them, write a letter, or call me. I'll give you some alternatives.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,078 Posts
You are entitled to your opinion, but spreading incorrect information is detrimental to those hoping to get a license some day.

I've been in the licensing industry for over 14 years. I worked at the CSLB for 5 years. I have knowledge, experience, information, and insight that you do not have.

1) Building 2 homes in 4-5 years? Wrong! Applicant would not qualify. The cslb requires that an owner/builder build at least 4 homes in one year.
2) Submitting more than one work experience form signed by different people covering the same time period is better? Wrong! Submitting more does not improve the app, or make the applicant look more qualified. Submitting an amended form adding experience not previously disclosed makes the applicant look like he's padding the experience.
3) Don't have to work a 40 hour week? Wrong! The cslb requires that an applicant worked at least 40 hours a week if they are submitting full time experience. At least 20 hours for part time.

I've been helping people on this forum for many years and have never felt like I've been in a pi$$ing match before and I don't want to start now.

But I do feel it's important that potential applicants, and current applicants, are given accurate and sound advice. pcplumber, while trying to help, is actually spreading incorrect information that may be detrimental to those in the cslb system, or looking to apply for a license.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,078 Posts
This conversation is akin to me sharing my opinion about the ins & outs, nuance’s, and intricacies of being a contractor on the job site.

pcplumber can disagree with me, I can disagree with him. But I worked for the cslb and I deal with the cslb everyday. So I'm extremely confident that the information I provide is accurate.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,078 Posts
Unfortunately, that is sad but true. The work experience form and certification (signed under penalty of perjury) has become irrelevant for the 8 critical classifications. The form and signature mean absolutely nothing now.

I don't know why they even ask for those forms to be completed if their going to ask for all the additional docs and client signatures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.