Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm searching for someone with a Florida roofing license to qualify me. Interested in breaking off from my partner (who holds the license) and going on my own.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,005 Posts
Hello charlesp,

My name is Phil, aka License Guru. I have a licensing service in CA but I'm on the verge of expanding my business into connecting construction companies with license qualifiers all over the U.S.

This service will be free to sign up and $500 when a connection is made. Would you like to be added to my database? If so, just provide me with your name, phone number, business name, and the license classification of the qualifier you are looking for. When I match you with a suitable qualifier I'll contact you to see if you are interested.

Good luck on your search. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Phil- let me ask you a question, as I've never understood the concept of using a license to "qualify" a business that I've got no involvement or direct interest in.

The question is, why are these guys stupid enough to put their license status, bond, etc., on the line, to allow a company that they have no ownership or financial stake in to operate? I realize that there's a "fee" for being the qualifier, but is it really worth the risk? If the guy who needs the qualifier is qualified to operate a business, why doesn't he get his own license and alleviate the need to pay someone to be his qualifier? It just seems like a recipe for disaster, and I scratch my head every time I see one of these "I need a qualifier" or "license for hire" posts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Phil- let me ask you a question, as I've never understood the concept of using a license to "qualify" a business that I've got no involvement or direct interest in.
Let me... It's so that illiterate hacks that have been going this since they were 12 years old and know absolutely everything can operate a legal business... of coarse without paying WC and taxes, cause if they get caught it's not there license anyhow... then they go out and hire guys but make them form phony corp. so they can be comp exempt and then pay them 1099... cause they can do it cheaper than anyone else!!!!!! :shutup::censored::laughing:

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,005 Posts
Hi Bob,

I think what you are saying/thinking is a misconception of what is being proposed or agreed to.

Yes, "selling" a license is illegal and unethical, but take this example...

What if a licensee isn't getting the business he needs to keep his company afloat? He decides to inactivate or cancel his license and go to work for a company who needs someone to qualify the classification he holds on their license? They enter into an agreement where the qualifier is responsible for any projects done by that company that involve the classification he is qualifying.

I've spoken to so many construction company's outside of CA who have or can get work in CA but they don't have a CA license or a CA qualifier. Why not hire someone to qualify that classification on their license?

I see no difference in a large national company I've done work for who needed additional classifications on their license and they used current employees to take the exams and qualify sub trades on their license.

Does this make any sense? I hope I've explained myself well enough for it to be clear. Let me know if I didn't. :blink:

I would never, in any form, allow, direct, or suggest that someone "sell" his license.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hi Bob,

I think what you are saying/thinking is a misconception of what is being proposed or agreed to.

Yes, "selling" a license is illegal and unethical, but take this example...

What if a licensee isn't getting the business he needs to keep his company afloat? He decides to inactivate or cancel his license and go to work for a company who needs someone to qualify the classification he holds on their license? They enter into an agreement where the qualifier is responsible for any projects done by that company that involve the classification he is qualifying.

I've spoken to so many construction company's outside of CA who have or can get work in CA but they don't have a CA license or a CA qualifier. Why not hire someone to qualify that classification on their license?

I see no difference in a large national company I've done work for who needed additional classifications on their license and they used current employees to take the exams and qualify sub trades on their license.

Does this make any sense? I hope I've explained myself well enough for it to be clear. Let me know if I didn't. :blink:

I would never, in any form, allow, direct, or suggest that someone "sell" his license.
All of that makes complete sense- if only it was what all of these "need a qualifier" posts were about. The majority of the boneheads on both sides of these posts are looking for a deal where a company pays $XX to use the qualifier's name/license to conduct business- there's no "employee" relationship whatsoever. That's the part that scares me, and boggles my mind that people are dumb enough to enter into such an agreement. Even as an employee, if you were using my license (and hence my reputation and future earning potential), I'd better have control over how the business is run, so I can protect that license.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
All of that makes complete sense- if only it was what all of these "need a qualifier" posts were about. The majority of the boneheads on both sides of these posts are looking for a deal where a company pays $XX to use the qualifier's name/license to conduct business- there's no "employee" relationship whatsoever. That's the part that scares me, and boggles my mind that people are dumb enough to enter into such an agreement. Even as an employee, if you were using my license (and hence my reputation and future earning potential), I'd better have control over how the business is run, so I can protect that license.
Qualifying a business with your license is a legal way to set up a company, it isn't like you just loan someone your license, you the license holder has to apply to the DBPR, if you qualify more than 1 company a personal appearance is required in front of the CILB.

The qualifier is responsible for everything done under his license, if he appoints an FRO, then he is not responsible for the issues relating to money, but no matter what, he is always responsible for all jobs done under his license, the DBPR does not like "absentee" qualifiers.

In Florida if you do not legally qualify a company and you just rent them your license, you are aiding and abetting an unlicensed contractor, which is illegal.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Qualifying a business with your license is a legal way to set up a company, it isn't like you just loan someone your license, you the license holder has to apply to the DBPR, if you qualify more than 1 company a personal appearance is required in front of the CILB.

The qualifier is responsible for everything done under his license, if he appoints an FRO, then he is not responsible for the issues relating to money, but no matter what, he is always responsible for all jobs done under his license, the DBPR does not like "absentee" qualifiers.

In Florida if you do not legally qualify a company and you just rent them your license, you are aiding and abetting an unlicensed contractor, which is illegal.
Again, I fully understand all of that, and agree that there's nothing illegal or wrong about it of it's done correctly. I think you'll agree with me though, that the folks who post things like "I used to charge $30k/year to let them use my license" aren't quite doing it on the up-and-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts