Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to the forum. I've been commissioned by a client to install a custom spring-loaded pin system for a lighting setup. I need to find a part that will engage a pin when the top button is depressed initially, and then will release the pin to the original position when depressed a second time. Any ideas? Specific links would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
3rd Generation
257 Posts
I'm not completely clear what you need but check out McMaster-Carr.com. They have all types of parts and products that may helpful. I have purchased machine parts from them and they always ship out fast.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,954 Posts
They make electrical switches that operate that way. Perhaps if you describe the actual application, we can help with the appropriate source.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already got a door stop but I'm looking for something more elegant where the button initially depressed is the same button for the secondary retract action. Specific application is hard to describe. Basically just need the extended Plunger to lock a rotating surface in place. The rotating surface will have a hole to accommodate the plunger when extended. I then need the plunger to retract so the surface can then freely rotate.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Ya thanks I've seen these but looking for something closer to a click action pen.
You won't find it, unless you get it custom made. Go down to your local machinist supply place - most of them have the names of retired machinists who have lathes and mills. $2000 for the first one, $200 for each of the next 10.

One reason you won't find it is that it's a bad idea - when it fails, it will fail in un-locked position, which is more likely to be unsafe. Talk to your client about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I disagree that it's a bad idea: Click-action pens don't fail, so why would this? I'm quite certain the hardware must exist somewhere; in fact, I've found a machinist company that manufactures retractable pens, which possess the hardware I'm looking for, however, I'd like to find a cheaper, more standardized version of the hardware, so I don't have to spend $50 on a pen and rip it open. Appreciate your suggestions though. Anyone else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good suggestion, but I already bought a cabinet piece to play with. Not the ideal solution, but you're on the right track for sure. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts