Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I like my Max coil guns and have not had any problems in the 6 years I have owned them.

But what problems are you having with the Hitachi's, they are generally a good gun.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the makita coil nailers as well as a couple bostich. I really would like to try a hitachi. But the makita is amazing powerful light and well thought out.

·
Super Moderator
10,597 Posts
How many framers are using coil nailers? I have only used them for roofing, and hate trying to keep the coils "nice" so that they are usable. I don't do too much roofing and they don't make a straight roofing nailer, so I have to live with it there. But I frame almost every day, and can't imagine keeping close guard on the nails all the time. Must be an upside.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Clipped head sticks are all you see around here, heck I've never actually seen anyone using a coil framer on a job site.

Never seen a stick roofer either.

The stick framer is great because they load fast and you can swap different legnths of nails in no time flat. But I guess its like the old sidewinder vs. wormdrive debate thoes that love one are married to them.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
How many framers are using coil nailers? I have only used them for roofing, and hate trying to keep the coils "nice" so that they are usable. I don't do too much roofing and they don't make a straight roofing nailer, so I have to live with it there. But I frame almost every day, and can't imagine keeping close guard on the nails all the time. Must be an upside.
Upside, 120 nails per coil. You do not store extra coils in your pouch.
Used coil Hitachi's for years. The one problem that they have is the coil advance mechinism.
The company I worked for always had new guns coming so never had to use one for more than aboout 6 months. Strip the good parts and throw them away.
We were paying $190each, 3 years ago.
I like the coil nailors as you load them a lot less. Most time with a coiuil nailor, I could nail a 24' wall with headers, laps cripples etc, with one load. Can't come close with a stick!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have used the Makita coil nailer and it is a nice tool. It is light weight and just works. It has an easy depth control and what I really liked was it has a built in filter to filter the air coming into the gun.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Max CN890II hands down. Best coil gun on the market.

I prefer a stick gun for framing, but for sheathing, you can't beat a coil gun. The 890 is compact enough to use for framing and I find myself using it more and more. Yes, with the coil it weighs a bit more, but I find the capacity worth it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Max CN890II hands down. Best coil gun on the market.

I prefer a stick gun for framing, but for sheathing, you can't beat a coil gun. The 890 is compact enough to use for framing and I find myself using it more and more. Yes, with the coil it weighs a bit more, but I find the capacity worth it.
How much better is it then the Hitachi NV75AG (if you've used this)? Satisfied with mine, but if the Max is a lot better I wouldn't mind switching.

·
Registered
2 Posts
coil gun

I need a new coil framer, my hitachi coil is done for Again. Should I buy a Max or another hitachi?
Hitachi Nv50A1 Wire Collated is the best as far as i know. but may be the way you use it? i advise be with hitachi though...:thumbsup:

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
I have two Bostich nailers-would have like to have bought Hitachi's based on recommendatons from the board, but after the first one which worked well I bought a second and the both continue to work well. I'm not a full time roofer...maybe the light use contributes to lack of problems w/ jamming.

·
Nailerman
35 Posts
I usually have to pay a little more for the Max but haven't had the problems I have had in the past with other tools. Sometimes it is worth the extra money not to have the down time.

Burkk

·
Registered
852 Posts
We run nothing but coilers. They blow at sinking into LVL but standard framing material is no problem. Paslode guns have feeding issues from what we find. I prefer the Hitachi NV83A2 over the Paslode. Bostitch guns are nice, don't own a new one though, mine are all 10+ years and can't sink a 3" nail to save its life. Great for floor sheeting though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts