Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a foreclosure that has plaster walls. The entire house had been wallpapered over, the paper came off fine, but the glue is a nightmare. I had a guy come into look at it, was considering just drywalling over plaster. He said I could mud and skim right over the glue. Another contractor rold me that would be a bad idea. What is the best plan here? I'm open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Personally, I'd remove the plaster and put up fresh drywall, - - especially if you're talking about possibly dry-walling anyway.

The demo goes quick (with a good mask).

You'll be able to address any insulation (or lack thereof) issues at the same time, - - and even sister the studs back to straight if necessary.

Also, address any old (or add new) electrical issues.

Do it once, do it right . . .

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If it's glue use a garden sprayer fill 3/4 HOT water the dump a bottle of DIF into it pump it up spray the walls down real good, goes around the room spraying the walls keep them damp, then get a 4" wallpaper razor stripper, they sell them at Home Depot in paint dept. they also large packs of blades in the flooring dept. just shave the glue off the plaster, then wash down with spronge. should be able to prime and then just spackle. don't tear it out you'll be sorry, drywall is crap compaired to plaster.
Now if the walls are covered with sizing you will have your work cut out for you. that stuff can be a pita.

·
Registered
895 Posts
[ He said I could mud and skim right over the glue. Another contractor rold me that would be a bad idea.

yes the moisture in the mud could losen the glue and then having the mud come off. im suprised the paper came off easily but not the glue usually its the other way around.

·
Registered
895 Posts
[ don't tear it out you'll be sorry, drywall is crap compaired to plaster.

i agree but sometimes the plaster jobs were done terrible ... and might be worth redoing ... or the plaster is really dead, crumbly etc.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Get out the wheelbarrow and start a burn pile for the lathe.

Yes, you'll want a dust mask. The best time of year to do this is when it is cool out, but not too cold. You can leave the place open and let a breeze through. Definitely don't want to mix sweat into the equation.

A big vacuum cleaner is your friend. Various wrecking bars should be on hand, as well as the standard flat shovel. My favorite tool for this is a mini garden spade, which looks like a child's shovel.

You may as well pull all the nails as you go along. This will give you something to do as the dust settles.

Try to get your head above the demolition especially when you are doing a ceiling. You'll have to start somewhere and let it fall on you, then move along and let it fall in front of you.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The other thing you need to do is remember plaster has asbestoes in it:rolleyes: yeah tear it out that's how to do it:laughing: I could fix that plaster and make it look like new, and it still would be better then ANY drywall job.:thumbsup:
The thing with trades people now a days is they all demo instead of fixing. I would say clean the wallpaper off the plaster using the T handle Razor blades just take your time and shave the paper or sizing off the walls then prime, get some M&H Ready Patch Spackle spot it out light pole sand prime and paint, why go through all that tear out then you'll have to get a dumpster cause the local trash man aint gonna take it, to much weight, speaking of weight one room could weigh in around 1000 lbs:laughing:
Good luck:thumbsup:

·
pro
850 Posts
Save your money and try to keep the plaster, I agree way better than drywall, fix what needs to be fixed (Cracks ect) and put the money into something else the house might need or you might want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's kinda strange that you are having troubles with the glue. Like Oldrivers said most of the time it's the paper that gives you fits. What I have done in the past is roll a coat of "Sanding Sealer" on the wall, this will seal the wall so when you skim coat, moisture won't cause the paper or glue to let loose and cause all the paper bubbles we love so much.

Just some food for thought.

Joe............

·
Registered
377 Posts
If the walls are in good shape; flat, straight,solid. Clean the glue 100%. use hot water, and scrape it down. try to get a steamer, they usually work well for this type of glue. after you clean, paint the walls with plaster weld and give it a few coats of lime and gauge plaster. You could probably even use a hot mix. If the walls are bad you should mesh them first with fiber glass mesh...This would be a primo job and, in NYC it would be 'VERY ESHPENSIVE'....very time consuming.
Sounds like a lot of work...just get 1/4" rock and laminate the walls. do a level 5 finish and call it a day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts