1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen this on another forum.

I want to build one of these:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60071358

instead of buying one from Ikea that'll probably fall apart. My only problem is cutting the wood...I don't really have the space or tools to do it. But I can probably buy a saw and saw horses and clamps AND lumber and still come out under $150 + tax + shipping.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
If you could just sneak a video of him out in his driveway giving it a go, that would be priceless.:thumbup:

But... that is how I got my start. I bought a sears radial arm saw and put in my dorm room on Charleston AFB.

Gotta love the guy for trying.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You put a radial arm saw in your dorm room? :eek: :laughing:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
If you could just sneak a video of him out in his driveway giving it a go, that would be priceless.:thumbup:

But... that is how I got my start. I bought a sears radial arm saw and put in my dorm room on Charleston AFB.

Gotta love the guy for trying.
That is called love for the trade!!!

G'dammm....I had an electric guitar 'cause I wanted to be a rock star.

I wanna know more.... That's fascinating!

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
That is called love for the trade!!!

G'dammm....I had an electric guitar 'cause I wanted to be a rock star.

I wanna know more.... That's fascinating!
1979 I was working rotating shift work in the central steam plant. I got alot of sleep at work and tons of daytime free and no friends around.

So I was inspired to make a coffee table. Went to sears and plopped down the $300 and muscled that thing up to the third floor. Rigged it up to hinge out of the middle closet onto a stand. And built myself a coffee table.

That lasted for a while and some other guys were wanting some stuff. But I was making more noise and dust than friends so I went another way. I bought a AMC Hornet hatchback wagon. I kept all my stuff in the car and I worked off a picnic table out front of the dorm for a while.

Then I fashioned a out house looking hut on a 4x8 trailer and moved it in there. That never really worked that well. Then got my big break.

The day room on the third floor was up for a remodel. We were putting in a bar and card table. I volunteered and got the duty over all the carpenters. I took over a storage room for a shop. Heaven on the 3rd floor.

I made all kinds of stuff for other guys. But my big money maker was a little door lock thing that tied around the knob and slipped over the wingy thing so someone with a master key could not open the door while you and your friends were smoking dope. Simple little piece of 1x2 with a dado down the middle and one that was cross cut. And a hole for the string. Some doors loked with the wingy thing vertical and some horizonal.

Went door to door selling them for a couple bucks. There were so many of us smoking pot back then that they went like hot cakes. Till I got called on the carpet of the first sargent"s office. But the market had already been saturated by then.:laughing:

The good ol days

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Project like that looks simple - and probably is to a lot of PRO carpenters - but to the average "weekend craftsmen" like myself there's a bit more to this than meets the eye. For instance, sanding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My girlfriend has that exact bookshelf. I had to put it together, and let me tell you, i wouldnt have the patience to make that myself. theres about 50 dowels holding those separators in place. Its also made out of real lightweight chip/fiber board stuff.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Gus Dering; Went door to door selling them for a couple bucks. There were so many of us smoking pot back then that they went like hot cakes. Till I got called on the carpet of the first sargent"s office. But the market had already been saturated by then.:laughing: The good ol days[/quote said:
Sounds familiar but I was at Kent State Univ. in 1979 building JBL studio monitors (3' X 3' X 4') out of 3/4" partial board with a skilsaw I nabbed from my dad in my dorm room. There was always a left handed cigarette burning at my job site back then we never locked the doors, we just didn't care. :thumbsup:

www.phbconstruction.com

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Sounds familiar but I was at Kent State Univ. in 1979 building JBL studio monitors (3' X 3' X 4') out of 3/4" partial board with a skilsaw I nabbed from my dad in my dorm room. There was always a left handed cigarette burning at my job site back then we never locked the doors, we just didn't care. :thumbsup:

I went to kent St as well....Go Golden Flashes! LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts