Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a contractor for a cable company and I need to pruchase a cordless drill that can go through brick/cement and switch back to normal. I had a dewalt the company supplied and it worked great till I droped it. Im looking at the Bosch drills and Im not sure what I need, Drill/Driver Hammer Drill/Driver or if Bosch even makes a drill that can do both.... (I dont know drill terminololgy) Please help thanks

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Hitachi 18V Impact Driver - I swear by mine for everything.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
You need an 18V Hammer Drill. For a great price, try http://bosch.cpotools.com/cordless/cordless_hammer_drills_and_rotary_hammers/13618.html

I'm a Bosch guy and swear by them. They are tough, nearly unbreakable, and work well. There is no doubt, this thread will become a pissing match of Ford vs. Chevy very quickly because everyone is partial to "their" system.

All I know is that Bosch let's anyone try to break their drills by dropping them onto concrete from 10 feet up at every trade show they visit. I saw a 14.4 drill drop 86 times before it broke (they have a digital counter at the drop zone).

You definitely DON'T want an impact driver. They are not designed for drilling but are perfect for fastening. It's not a replacement for a drill.

·
Registered
262 Posts
oh the irony

now i know why i threw my comcast sub-cable guy off the job when he came to run some RG6 and whatnot at my own house!!!!!!!! no clue. that aint good. and yes, I am looking to start something...i have comcast for the bundle of high speed data, cable, and phone...1 out of ten techs in that business knows what he or she is doing. swearing in front of my kids and wife while you made me take a half a day off to wait for you and didn't get there until after when my day was normally over? puuuuuuuhhhhlease. highway robbers. take your broken dewalt, return it to the company and stop bull ********************ttting us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
old27 said:
now i know why i threw my comcast sub-cable guy off the job when he came to run some RG6 and whatnot at my own house!!!!!!!! no clue. that aint good. and yes, I am looking to start something...i have comcast for the bundle of high speed data, cable, and phone...1 out of ten techs in that business knows what he or she is doing. swearing in front of my kids and wife while you made me take a half a day off to wait for you and didn't get there until after when my day was normally over? puuuuuuuhhhhlease. highway robbers. take your broken dewalt, return it to the company and stop bull ********************ttting us.
What do you think, your the only one getting cable installed that day. It only takes one house with problems to screw the whole cable guys day over. Maybe that tech was swearing because your house smelled like cat sh*t, who knows.

·
Registered
262 Posts
rg7 said:
What do you think, your the only one getting cable installed that day. It only takes one house with problems to screw the whole cable guys day over. Maybe that tech was swearing because your house smelled like cat sh*t, who knows.

lol...sorry about that rant.

(for the record, the house is less than ten years old and this kid was just a goon...and i don't own a cat...lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you have any other tools that run on the same batteries and charger?

I have Dewalt, a couple of chargers, 3 drills, a light, finish nailer, saw, about 10 batteries.

I always drool over the latest and greatest toys (oops! I mean tools) but in reality I won't change. Too much invested.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Tonkadad said:
Do you have any other tools that run on the same batteries and charger?

I have Dewalt, a couple of chargers, 3 drills, a light, finish nailer, saw, about 10 batteries.

I always drool over the latest and greatest toys (oops! I mean tools) but in reality I won't change. Too much invested.

I started with Makita so I guess it is brand loyalty for me and also what Tonka says...multiple tools using one size battery.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We use Hitachi stuff and have had great luck with it.

It really depends on your budget. If I was in the market for a new drill and didn't have all the hitachi stuff, I would at the 28 volt stuff Milwaukee just came out with.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
I want this one:

I have no idea if it's any good
I just looks super cool
Like a hand held drill press

1 - 13 of 13 Posts