Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using a larger Dewalt gun, but the trigger went wonky so I ran to the local hardware store and picked up a Makita 4000. I was going to get the Dealt, but it was the 4,000 RPM model which from what I've read is a bit weak and slow. The Makita is 4,000 RPM as well but was 20 bucks less.

I hate this thing. It feels like I am pushing the screws in instead of it screwing them in. Do the RPM's make that much difference? Also, it won't put any screws into any wood that is even the tiniest amount knotty or hard. The screws just strip, or stop.

Hence, my question. Should I just go ahead and get a bigger Dewalt again? Any other guns worth looking at. I do like the light on the Makita.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I'm kinda out of the loop with quantity hanging but most hangers I've seen use Dewalts. We used to call Makitas ''screamers''. But Makitas worked better on metal than wood for sure.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I'm kinda out of the loop with quantity hanging but most hangers I've seen use Dewalts. We used to call Makitas ''screamers''. But Makitas worked better on metal than wood for sure.
I love my de Walt for hanging rock on wood... But I used a Black and Decker on the metal studs also I use a Milwaukee for plywood and back screwing floors.

It would be nice to see a variable speed screw gun that fits comfortably in the hand and works good for all.

And if anyone comes on here and says Festool I'm going to put glue on your keyboard!!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
What about the hilti cordless? I've heard really good things about it and am leaning towards picking one up for a large boarding job I have coming up.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
What about the hilti cordless? I've heard really good things about it and am leaning towards picking one up for a large boarding job I have coming up.
The hilti guns are good, though I only have the corded. If it's a big job, plan to go with collated. But be prepared for the cost of the screws. With Hilti, the cost of consumables can be significant.

Couple of existing threads on C.T. about collated guns.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I have a PC which I'm very happy with. No complaints.

I've even used it to screw down PT decking with 3" screws: fast and powerful

·
Registered
2 Posts
take a look at Dewalt's
DW255(5300rpm 6.0amp)
DW252(4000rpm 6.0amp)
DW272(4000rpm 6.3amp)
Had a lot of broken (less than a year in use) makita 4000 returned. Don't get many Dewalts that come back.
There are others that are good, I'm just a little more familiar with Dewalt.

·
commercial
124 Posts
i had one till it got stolen. decent gun, lost of power but i never used it to hang more than 30 sheets a day. under that, it worked great and it was all on 20g metal stud.

·
commercial
124 Posts
we all use dewalt, its a heavy duty gun and will last a long time. the cone has more adjustment than others to really dial in that dimple. i also have a hilti 4500 and its much lighter, i use it mostly when im hanging lids all day.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I have several dewalts, I'm not sure the model numbers, but I have 2 different models. The good ones have a silver cone, and the slow ones have a black cone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the dewalt dw255 is what i have relied on for years. it is the best and cheapest dewalt drywall gun available at lowes here in michigan. they can also be ordered wirh 50ft cords and will accommodate a superdrive head for coalated screws and they are bad ass.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts