Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to add a 240v outlet in my garage. My panel is full, but there is a dedicated 240v for the AC right where I want to put the outlet. Other than it being against code, any issues with putting the 240 on the ac circuit? AC is only used in the summer and the outlet would only be used for a router I have that runs once a week for a few hours.

Or i guess is 220v....

Attachments

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told that any built in or appliance is to have a dedicated circuit. True?

I'm renting right now and can't foot the bill for the landlord to get a whole new panel :)

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
If you were renting from me and you started messing with the electrical system of MY house, you wouldn't be renting from me any more.

If you have to ask this question, YOU shouldn't be doing the work...especially on a rental where you have no business changing things even if you did know how.

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're making several assumptions here. All of them are wrong. First of all... I'm not doing this work by myself. I know my limitations and I don't mess with electrical. Second... I'm getting quotes to present options to the landlord. I'm simply not going to pay for a new panel for him. Oh and third... even though I'm renting... I'm also a landlord. Keep your assumptions to yourself and if you have any real advice to contribute feel free to post again.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you were renting from me and you started messing with the electrical system of MY house, you wouldn't be renting from me any more.

If you have to ask this question, YOU shouldn't be doing the work...especially on a rental where you have no business changing things even if you did know how.
He has every right to state his opinion.
As your post is somewhat lacking in detail, it was a reasonable assumption

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
You're making several assumptions here. All of them are wrong. First of all... I'm not doing this work by myself. I know my limitations and I don't mess with electrical. Second... I'm getting quotes to present options to the landlord. I'm simply not going to pay for a new panel for him. Oh and third... even though I'm renting... I'm also a landlord. Keep your assumptions to yourself and if you have any real advice to contribute feel free to post again.
This makes no sense. Just because you are A landlord doesn't mean you own the house you're getting ready to work on, but anyhow...

Yes I did assume that you were doing the work:
I need to add a 240v outlet in my garage. My panel is full, but there is a dedicated 240v for the AC right where I want to put the outlet. Other than it being against code, any issues with putting the 240 on the ac circuit? AC is only used in the summer and the outlet would only be used for a router I have that runs once a week for a few hours.

Or i guess is 220v....
I can't imagine why. But since I was wrong, then I guess I partially retract my statement. :thumbsup:

I've been dealing with tenants too long. Most of them would think nothing of ripping that box open, hacking in a 240 receptacle because they saw some moron on youtube do it, so it must be ok, plug their router into it and run the AC full bore while running it.

Now here's the rest of the story: More than likely that receptacle they installed would be just dangling on a piece of romex...and too small romex at that...and I'm not talking about a covered 240V rec., like a dryer would use...oh no, I'm talking a standard wall receptacle. If I'm lucky they might have wrapped tape around the connections. It MIGHT even be electrical tape, but that's a stretch.

And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had just stripped the wires on the router* and pushed them into the receptacle because they bought the wrong one and are too lazy/stupid/cheap to go get the correct one.

*What the HELLLL kinda router do you have that runs on 240V anyway? LOL

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I've got a few tools from Germany, actually 230 volt.

BTW, residential is 120/120/240 in the states, not 110/220, but whatever...

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
eh eh eh ok... I thought it was 240, but when I posted the pic the cover was labeled 220. had me all confused. I'm considering purchasing a cnc router. It's single phase but can come in at 120 or 240. I got about 10 different quotes telling me about 10 different things and appreciate you all's input to clarify the logistics.

JP i probably reacted a bit quick there. Thanks for taking the time to post.:thumbsup:

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
HOLY SHEEOT :eek: ...$84 shipping on a $60 item.

bwiab, I may have jumped on ya too quickly too...like I said, I've been dealing with tenants for a long time. If I had one that I thought had any sense, I wouldn't mind them doing SOME things as long as they don't hesitate to ask if they have trouble. But I've only ever seen a few that had that kind of sense :).

Guess that's what makes this forum fun. One person jumps down another one's throat, then backs off and takes a second thought about it, and takes it back.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
HOLY SHEEOT :eek: ...$84 shipping on a $60 item.

bwiab, I may have jumped on ya too quickly too...like I said, I've been dealing with tenants for a long time. If I had one that I thought had any sense, I wouldn't mind them doing SOME things as long as they don't hesitate to ask if they have trouble. But I've only ever seen a few that had that kind of sense :).

Guess that's what makes this forum fun. One person jumps down another one's throat, then backs off and takes a second thought about it, and takes it back.
It's a $500+ item new.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Only about 35#.

I shipped one about that size with the "If it fits, it ships" for $9.95 with the USPS.

Not sure how big the one on eBay actually is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts