Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mentioned in another thread I had to build a new lumber rack & timelessquality asked to see pics. So here they are.

Went to an auction a couple weeks ago & bought a trailer load of mixed hardwoods. Problem was, I had nowhere to store it in the new shop. Motivated me to build a new 9x12x6'tall lumber rack. Now we've got 13' or racking & I suspect it still won't be enough. I've got hardwood stored in 4 other buildings & none of it readily available when I need it. My name is Randy & I'm a wood whore.:laughing:

I can't help it, I bought everything in the 18' trailer for $600. Most of it is a couple decades old & has all been air dried. Red & white oak, cherry, thick walnut, maple, cedar & poplar.

The space in front of the main pile, is all 2" thick walnut. Mostly 6' long.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I am a wood-ahalic also---My racks are running low--perhaps today I will call the mill and see if he has any cherry at a good price----

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,792 Posts
You can always add on to your shop that will solve the problem for a little while. :laughing:

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I gotta say, nice wood! That actually is a real good deal on the old lumber. Oh and nice rack, lol. I have a few dark walnut trees down drying and I have been looking at portable saw mills lately.

My wife thinks I'm crazy but I have a couple huge oaks and at least 10 standing dead walnuts that are perfect. I need to drop them this year and get them into the building to dry further.

Those fricken saw mlls are not cheap, but I kind of want the trailer option so I can pull it in and out of the my big building to use but do not really want it sitting in the weather. I get that mill and I will redo all of the trim in my house from the cheaper looking oak to a beautiful walnut that came off my property.

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
"Most of it is a couple decades old & has all been air dried. Red & white oak, cherry, thick walnut, maple, cedar & poplar.

The space in front of the main pile, is all 2" thick walnut. Mostly 6' long."

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Wish I had your problems.I did buy a lot of walnut a few years back at auction for $600.Was 30 miles from my shop and had to make 2 trips in my 3/4 ton truck to haul it all.I didn't mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts