Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any scenario allow under the NEC where one could splice wiring (220) and not have a junction box which is exposed? In other words, I do not wish to have a blank wall plate. Is there any type of splicing kit which can be put in a junction box and buried behind the drywall?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Nope.:thumbdown
Are you still havin problems with the Radiant Heat in Ceiling wiring? Try being creative about the ceiling j box. How about installing a light fixture, smoke dector, CO2 dector, in the spot where you need to splice the heating cable. Just make sure that the j box is big enough to handle all the wires per NEC 314.16.

Carry On!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CE1,

Yep, still trying to figure it out. That is a good suggestion. Is there a copy of the NEC on-line somewhere. I had no luck finding one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I usually do as CE1 has suggested and add a smoke detector to the room. Most places I work on don't have smokes and it doesn't have near the "afterthought look" so it's a win-win for the homeowner.

·
Registered
886 Posts
mtplus said:
CE1,
Is there a copy of the NEC on-line somewhere. I had no luck finding one.
No there is not. I do not have the software version but there will be somebody arriving shortly that will. Hang in there. :thumbsup:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,417 Posts
Everything I've read tells me it's legal. I know a lot of double-wide mobile homes use them to span circuits from one half to the other.

Would I use one? Only if that's the last option available. I wound never routinely install them. Exception to that would be for wiring installed in sacrificial walls installed in a flood plain.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,417 Posts
So..... how old does a thread have to be before we're not allowed to answer questions in it? :whistling

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
So..... how old does a thread have to be before we're not allowed to answer questions in it? :whistling
I only mentioned it because the op has his answer. I could care less if you want to respond to an old thread. Just thought you might want to know... Oh, Ken --- LOL

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,417 Posts
I only mentioned it because the op has his answer. I could care less if you want to respond to an old thread. Just thought you might want to know... Oh, Ken --- LOL
The question I answered is only a day old....

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
BTW, this thread is 13 years old
yup. Somebody had to dig for this one.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I decided to join this site because time and time again when I googled something, this site had the answer. When I saw this thread today I knew that the next time I was at Menard's I would be buying a couple of splice kits so the next time I sawzall through a wire I can repair it easily.

Thank goodness for the 13 year old threads! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts