Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long time lurker....wondering if I'm right to fight the inspector on something.....

Rough Electrical inspection for a project in the bay area. Electrical inspector say he wants a counter top outlet installed. I explained to him since that we have over 12" in front of sink my interpretation of code is that an outlet is not required.

The peninsula is well over 24" long (approx. 8') plus it is deep for eating on the opposite side of the sink (3'). It is all at the same level. In addition there is a framed out column at the very end of the peninsula where we put a small appliance receptacle there for convenience.

(3) Peninsular Countertop Space. This Section mandates only one
receptacle outlet to be installed at each peninsular countertop that has
a long dimension of 24 inches or greater, and a short dimension of 12
inches or greater. A peninsular countertop is measured from the
connecting edge.
(4) Separate Spaces. When breaks occur in countertop spaces
(ranges, refrigerators, sinks, etc.), each countertop surface is
considered a separate counter for determining receptacle placement.
(210.52(c)(1) If a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is
installed in an island or a peninsular countertop and the depth of the countertop behind the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 12 inches, the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink shall be considered to divide the countertop space into two
separate countertop spaces. Each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C).​

Even with the sink in the middle I always thought the depth (over 12") would cancel out the code saying the sink divides the countertop into two spaces, each needing to comply.

Just annoyed, the outlet in the column is only a little over 3' away so he is essentially having us install 2 outlets in less than 3'.

As usual it may be just easier to install it rather than fight him on it, but let me know I could easily be in the wrong on this one too.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I dunno but if it's like it is here they can make your life hell so it's just easier to bend over and do it.

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
You are correct in that the peninsula would not be divided however you would still need one on the peninsula itself

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
He is probably worried about people running cords across the sink because they can't find an outlet. He could be right because the code you quoted says "at the countertop". The outlet you have in the column isn't technically at the countertop, it's in the column.

But the argument you gave sounds funny. I would have said the outlet in the column constitutes the outlet at the countertop because it allows you to not have to run appliance cords across the sink. It does kind of sound like your inspector is on crack. I did an island countertop with two outlets inside the wall it was up against. I don't see anything wrong with putting the outlet in the column. Did he say he wants it inside the countertop? You can call him and ask where exactly he wants it. Tell him any appliance by the sink can plug into the column outlet, is the column too far away? If so how close does it need to be to the sink?

Sometimes when I get something weird from an inspector, if I explain it in detail and give a clearer picture he will change his mind and suggest something different.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
Is Florida an island?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Is Florida made up of cabinets and countertop?

Sent from my phone that doesn't automatically include an advertisement

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
island?

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Is Florida made up of cabinets and countertop?

Sent from my phone that doesn't automatically include an advertisement
Probably more old people, guns and cockroaches.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
Probably more old people, guns and cockroaches.

You forgot drug runners.

Sent from CherryBomb using MyFingers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts