Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the day re building distribution piping to a dry well that was built by hand from cream city brick in 1921. I couldn't take a photo of it while inside but did manage to take a photo of it before hand. You can sort of make out the curve.

The dry well is a dome and a dome is very strong. The bricks inside were perfect as were the joints. By code I'm supposed to report this to the governing body but I never do, very few of these are around any more.....especially in this good of shape.

Anyhow, many of you don't get to see these types of things and thought you might enjoy it.

Water well Sinkhole Rock

·
Registered
89 Posts
Does it function like a septic tank with no bottom in it, and the sewage just leaches in to the ground ?

Ive been a service plumber for many year, but have never seen one.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it function like a septic tank with no bottom in it, and the sewage just leaches in to the ground ?

Ive been a service plumber for many year, but have never seen one.
Correct. Bottom is earth, often times stone. This had 3 separate dry wells in a row. The 3rd one, which is at the end of the line was dry. In other words, the second well (in the photo) works so well that it never had to use the last one.

Now, the first is a tank, not a well. It has a baffle and that is what gets pumped of course.

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for explaining it.
I hope they paid you well to climb in there.

Ive probably spent more time doing repairs in crawl spaces than top side and I still get that creepy feeling every time I enter a crawl.

Not sure I have big enough jewels to get in that tank.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Oconomowoc said:
I spent the day re building distribution piping to a dry well that was built by hand from cream city brick in 1921. I couldn't take a photo of it while inside but did manage to take a photo of it before hand. You can sort of make out the curve. The dry well is a dome and a dome is very strong. The bricks inside were perfect as were the joints. By code I'm supposed to report this to the governing body but I never do, very few of these are around any more.....especially in this good of shape. Anyhow, many of you don't get to see these types of things and thought you might enjoy it.
Would you lose your state license for not reporting .

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I don't know the terms, but would the first tank be called a cesspool? then as it fills, overflows into the dry wells-like a septic tank and lateral lines?

H2S gas in the dry well?

What were you having to repair?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
It was a knife. And time was important.

Thanks for the advice though

:jester: I'm a fan of sawzalls and 12" blades ... Saves time cutting out pipe and frequently eliminating the possibility of getting electrocuted while working in a wet environment. :clap:

Dry well, cool. never saw one of those and knew what it was anyway. Thanks for sharing.

????LOL You use pure oxygen or compressed breathing air LOL ????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts