Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about Qualifying Agents. I have spent days reading other threads but I'm still missing some key information for my knowledge so I wanted to start my own thread.

For a little background information I am the sole owner of an established HVAC/R and General Contracting company in Tennessee. We work almost exclusively in commercial maintenance, repairs, and PMs. While we are a young company (formed in June 2013) we have been extremely successful in large part to my connections within the Facilities Maintenance industry. We will top $1M in gross sales in 2014 with ease. We are fully licensed and insured in TN. Current license holders are myself (Business and Law) and one of my employees (CMC and BC).

In 2015 I would like to expand into one or possibly two of the states listed above. With my exiting client base there will be no shortage of work as I already have the work guaranteed as long as we perform to the same level as we do in TN.

Here are my main questions which I would welcome your input and questions on:

1) Am I better off looking to hire as a full time employee 1 person whose sole function within the company is to go get the company's needed licenses or should I look for more of a "Facilities Manger" in EACH of these areas and that person gets the needed licenses in their state AND plays an active role in managing the field technicians? Pros and Cons of each?

2) Regardless of which path you think I should take where do I find these types of people. I have looked through sites such as Career Builder, Monster, etc and I do not really see this "type" of position really advertised for. I'm thinking in many cases these may be more experienced people towards the end of their careers? Am I thinking properly?

3) As I am located in the SE does $52K annually plus 1% of gross sales under licenses provided to the company by this individual sound realistic or am I really missing the boat on the value of this type of person?

Thank you all for time. I look forward to any and all input even if it's that I'm an idiot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Getting crickets on this one.....did I break a cardinal rule or something? If so please let me know so I can revise. I'm obviously new to the forum so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks all!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The crickets might be because there's some prejudice against qualifying-agent questions around here. Most of the time it's someone in Florida or California trying to work out a rent-a-license situation, which isn't legal in either state.

But let's say that you are taking a successful one-state business into some additional states, and are interested in doing so legitimately. There are some C.T. members who are with multi-state operators; give it a little more time and maybe they'll stop by.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob - Thank you for the insight. I thought I may have hit a touchy subject by the lack of responses but I appreciate you confirming it for me.

All - I am a legitimate company looking to do this legitimately which is why my questions really center around what type of employee to hire. I am not looking to simply "rent" a license as I am in this for the long haul. That said I am looking for input/opinions on the best way to go about expansion so if you have any insight I would definitely appreciate it. You can find out more about the company through LinkedIn if you'd like. Our username is Evolution Maintenance, Inc. There is also a link to our Fixxbook account through LinkedIn as well.

Thanks all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts