Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to gently ask. I ordered CD's from a company, and they have not arrived for the builders license test, and my test is Tues. AM, does anyone have access to online study sites with practice test??? Would be a wonderful help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I am going to gently ask. I ordered CD's from a company, and they have not arrived for the builders license test, and my test is Tues. AM, does anyone have access to online study sites with practice test??? Would be a wonderful help. Thanks
Two ways to look at it.

1. Reschedule the test for after you get your study material.

or

2. It only costs, what, 80, 90 bucks to take the test. You'll get to review the actual exam itself for less than a hundred dollars.

:whistling Of course after two test failures you have to wait 6 months to take it again. You should have your material by then.

I suggest option 1.

Disclaimer: I am in SC it may be different in NC.

·
153 Posts
Reschedule your test. If you try to take it prior to reviewing the study materials, you will probably fail, even if you have years of experiance. They just ask too many questions that you don't normally run into on a day to day basis on the job. Taking a 4 hour test and continuously running into questions you don't know the answer to would frustrate the heck out of me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't believe I could have passed NC test without buying study materials. And I have 30 some years license and experience behind me. Took 2 day short course, tabbed books, listened to CDs, and just plain studied. Think the place that sold you the CDs has an online practice test. By the way, all answers count the same, hard and easy. I did written questions first, which went pretty fast, saving plans for last. Glad I did because they were much more difficult and were time eaters. Don't know if it is a comment on my ability or on the people who wrote the test, but I suspect some of the plans questions have no correct answer. Good luck and hope you do well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good point, Dave R. Lots of questions you don't run into everyday. I knew they existed but didn't know differences in types of steel deck and bar joists, how to weld them and what types of washers to use. Never needed to know before or since, but sure came in handy on the test.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Back when I took the test, I could not find any classes or anything like they have to day. I had practical experience but I just used a lot of common sense. The biggest part of the test that I wished I had studied more for was the accounting portion.

I just got some of the books that were recommended reading and read and read. However, for you it may be too late in the game. Even if you got the books last week. I recommend trying to postpone the test when you are not under so much pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the recommendations. I contacted Great Southern Seminars Sunday AM, they emailed me over the info in a zip file, cost me 249.00 worth every penny!!! I did pass the test with 18 hours of studying. I have been to the sit down class room deal and failed, as very little was on the exam. This place had all the correct study material, and verbal help. Highly recommend it!! This was the commercial/Residential test. After 23 years in the business, this test does not reflect what was learned hands on. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
NC Commercial Builders license Books

Does anyone have any used testing materials they would like to get rid of?? I am having a hard time finding used books online and i really don't want to pay $1100 for the new ones. Just starting out and money is tight so trying to cut corners wherever possible. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Not Workin' for Da'man
105 Posts
David, you don't need the $1100 worth of books some people say you do. I took the Building License exam in February and passed it in 85 minutes. I got the building code book and the NC Business Law for Contractors Book at Wake Tech CC. I got the OSHA Book from OSHA. I paid $250 for an online study course here http://www.contractorsseminars.com/ and studied hard for 5 days before I took the test. While I am a fairly strong test taker, there is NO WAY I would have passed that test just by buying the 12 books that were used to make the test. Buy the 3 books you can take into the exam and do the online study guide. They also mail you a study book with plans and practice questions. This guide will give you all the information you need from the other books, and I got the 3 books and the guide for roughly $400. Where are you located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate your help! I have been doing a little more homework on it today and I am coming to the same conclusion. I am from Michigan and plan on relocating soon. Thanks again for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts