Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any contractor out there heard of this rebate before? Is it legit? Is it a Scam?
You can view the specifics at: www.nationalenergyrebatefund.com

I am a hvac contractor and have never heard of this company...
My neighbor just got an estimate for a deck to be done for $17,860 and suppositly qualifies for 15,000 in rebates from this fund to be issued in three $5,000 voulchers that take up to four yrs to get the money from the fund...
Something sounds fishy.. Is there anyone that has any good dealings with this fund...
Seems like they have only been around for 2yrs and possibly have never paid out a dime...
Give me some input to the validity of the claims or help me with some real world stories to help me save my neighbor from getting scammed..
Thanks
J

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The first thing that makes me suspicious is the web address. .com instead of .gov
Other than that it all sounds ludicrous. The gov't is going to pay for my deck?
Back to the old saw: If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
How do otherwise sensible people keep falling for this stuff?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
This could actually be a legitimate company. This is based on a business model that pools funds and makes you wait for a certain amount of years before you get your rebate, you usually have to jump through hoops either once a year, once every month, or whatever they decide to keep your rebate claim active, if you mess up or forget to do something you lose the rebate for good.

Sometimes you have like a 1 day window to make your claim after 5 years to get your money, and if you don't do it exactly within that window you forfiet it. (And they won't be sending you any reminders to remind you that next Tuesday is the day to claim your money!) They sometimes require you to fax them a certain document that you need to keep for 5 years with your yearly verification numbers or supply some claim number or something, that alot of people will forget about by then.

They rely on a statistical amount of people not claiming the rebate or messing up to fund the small percentage of rebates that actually get claimed.

We have a hot tub dealer that does this. You basically get a hot tub for almost free. You buy it for over the market value, say $9000 for a $7500 tub and in 5 years you get your $9000 back. It is legitimate, they have been checked out and scrutinized by consumer advocates and such for years, they do what they say. They can do it because if you choose to do it, you pay over market and there are so many that just forget about it or screw up and that money stays in and pays the others.

With all that, they could very well be legit, but there are plenty of scamers too. But these things actually do exist. They don't have anything to do with the government.

But remember the key to these deals is you almost always are paying over the price you should be and are doing it willingly to get the rebate. If you end up being one of those that doesn't claim you really got bent over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
National Energy Rebate Fund

Yes they are for real,

Been using the rebate for 2 years now.

They check out with the BBB.

They also check out with the attorney generals office.

Been rebating for a year now with no complaints.

Yours truely, Hammer Time.:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
NERF (Rebate Update)

I know that my credibility as a 1st time post(er) is not the highest in rank here. I do have some knowledge of the National Energy Rebate Fund (NERF) but definately not all the answers! I know that NERF is funded by the merchants using the rebates (15% of the rebate amount) and that NERF invests those funds in US Gvt. Treasury Bonds that mature in approx. 4 years (hence the 47 month wait). They do have strict guidelines for the rebate holder, but if followed, they do receive the rebate. I also know that NERF makes it clear that they count on what is referred to as "Slippage" (people who don't follow up). I believe they did a study on it and just count on the numbers to follow the study.

I am definately not endorsing this company or LLC as it actually is, but I can't find any fault or scam in their presentation yet either. I'm still checking it out too (& so is my attorney). They seem to check out but as many point out, it does seem too good to be true, and that should say something. Anything new on them, they have been around for almost 5 years now?

:excl: :wallbash: :eek:nline2long: Anyway, this is my 1st post, won't be my last. Also, I'm supposed to say hello to everyone so HELLO.

·
Painter
969 Posts
Our city paper just ran a article on this a few months ago.

Yes it is legit. I don't remember any part about a deck, But there were things like windows and stuff like that that would qualify.

Pretty much anything that would say on heating cost qualified. I'll try to search for the article

·
Registered
2 Posts
Energy Rebate Program

NERF makes rebate incentives available on a VARIETY of CONSERVATION based projects, materials, etc. So, not just energy efficiency, but long lived products.....50 year roofing, so asphalt shingles aren't put in the landfill every 18 yrs or so. Composite Decking so Redwood trees don't have to be harvested, etc. They are NOT a government program and never represented such.... as a company doing business nationwide, doesn't make sense to have a name that implies such? Is National Car Rental governmental? The non-government companies with the name "National widgit" etc. are too numerous to list.....

We started rebating with NERF many years ago and now OUR CUSTOMERS are getting rebates! Not all of them of course, because not everyone can follow directions, and NERF explains this in the literature, website and we as a dealer are suppose to explain this concept of "slippage". We are NOT allowed to charge for rebates or we can be canceled from the program. We pay out of our advertising and marketing budget. We are much more efficient now and have actually kept our prices the same for the last 5 years, despite many price increases from suppliers, and we are still more profitable.......that's because our Newspaper charges a ton for advertising, but we never got many leads....now, a small ad gets LOTS of leads and that means more sales with less money spent on advertising, means we effectively give the savings to our customers in the form of the FREE rebate.....if they claim, they are WAY ahead, if not, they just missed a bonus but still got the very best home improvements available in our market! It's a Win for everyone!

I encourage people to do research BEFORE broadcasting negative and ignorant opinions. You will find education to be refreshing instead of just indulging in your "opinion-ations".

What are you doing to help conservation in America? The gov't Energy Bill was a poke in the eye to consumers....all the $$billions in incentives go to the providers, oil and gas companies, etc. but a mere drop is for consumers! It takes private enterprise to create something really useful, so I think it's a darn good thing NERF isn't governmental because then it would not be effective at changing consumers choices in favor of more efficient or environmentally sound materials and projects. Yes, greed works, but at least it is being used to get people to make a WISER choice for themselves and America!:notworthy

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe this is real, but like others said they make it real hard, if not impossible to get your money. I am not sure if this is the same company or not but I remember reading somewhere that part of the process is to send copies of your last 12 months of utility bills prior to the purchase within 7 days, and to send them a copy of your utility bills each and every month within certain conditions like it must be sent registered mail and postmarked between the 3rd and the 5th each month or something like that. Now, I know that it is possible to follow terms like this, but one forgotten month out of 48 and the entire claim is gone.

Kind of off the topic a little, but still on the same point, I had a problem withn a merchant I bought a part for my ATV from and filed a credit card chargeback, this is almost the same thing. They sent me a letter asking me to send 3 things and if it was not recieved within 10 days the claim would be closed. I sent them in, then another letter comes and says they want another statement stating pretty much the same thing as the first one within 10 days again. I sent it out and in about a month I recieved a letter stating because they did not recieve the statement they closed my claim. I have no idea where it went but I know I sent it out. I called them and they gave me details on how to go about contacting their special office to re-open the claim, and what do you know the next letter comes stating that they want another copy of the original reciept within 10 days. I sent that out today, let's see where that gets me. I think the credit card companies do the same thing to save themselves on paying out chargebacks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The rebate does NOT require 48 months of utility logs. NERF is only asking for the information to track energy savings of the consumer after they purchase new efficient products. Failure to voluntarily supply the valuable information will not change eligibility. They have been around long enough now to be paying claims...their website is easy to find, it's their name spelled out, National Energy Rebate Fund.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Rebates are real. I haven't read the whole thread but I do know that the large utility suppliers have rebate managers that you can contact and get the scoop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts