Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to find some nashville framers on here to talk shop with, mostly building codes and who not to work for (if we can talk about them). 'first i would like to know what general's to stay away from. Please post company names and leave personal names out, thank you.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Nashville has a great bar scene. Karaoke singers all belong on the radio it's like walking from concert to concert.

Lived 1.5 hours from Nashville (Tullahoma) much slower pace.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't do any work in Nashville, but how did you wind up in Tullahoma, they ain't building nothing down here hardly at all. Like 15 houses a year type of nothing. If it weren't for fixing rot and other peoples screw ups, there would be any work at all in Tullahoma. But it's home.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Forever fall and no winter I miss it. Coffee County and Franklin County was my stomping grounds. Busy enough but not too busy. I ran siding, soffit and gutters with an average 60-70 houses a year (all new construction).

In 2006 when I moved onto spec building and personally built 11 houses in 2005-2006 all of them sold before the shingles were on.

I am sure it slowed along with the majority of the country but at the time it was good for me.

I think 2008 a hail storm rolled through and everyone got new roofs, siding, gutters and the remodeling side has been killed as a result.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep in 1990 we had 180 residential permits in one year in town. Then by 2010 it was down to 6 they said. I think there have been 15 so far this year. This with a population of 18,000. When I worked for a GC in Franklin County he would have 20 a year with just us. And like you said most were sold before the shingles went on. We worked 7 days a week while it lasted. I think there is about 5 houses being finished up right now. If you want to build a new house now you have to beg for a framing crew, they're all gone or they starved to death waiting on work.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Totally not related and yet related... I want to take my wife out to Nashville for a long weekend sometime next year, probably February time frame. Looking for some pointers on places to go and see (we're country music fans) thinking we need to hit the bluebird but give me some other ideas.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bluebird is nice if you like singer songwriter type atmosphere. You def gotta hit the Grand Ole Opry and just bar hopping down broadway hitting all the country music bars is nice to. Depending on the time of year, the Opryland Hotel is a great place to stay and visit, it's really pretty during the holidays.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recenty relocated, but I'm not framing. Right now I'm trimming and doing punch out for a builder in Gallatin. I also trimmed a bunch of houses for the good ole "LOL South". Glad to know I'm not the only one on CT.

BTW, I am from NJ originally and I don't know if it's just me, but they certainly don't build em the same down here.... It's as though nobody cares about the quality of their work. I am sure there are some and I am one of them.

I could only imagine trying to find decent subs if I decide to diversify.

Also, I can't believe how much the industry has turned around recently. Houses are going up left and right!

The problem? Builders are making $$ hand over fist, using cheap subs doing shoddy work, but don't want to pay a decent rate.

This is unfortunate for me, as I do fine work and care about what I have my name on. This comes at a price that no-one is willing to pay.

It would seem that most companies are paying carpenters on a 1099 and paying them HOURLY rate, and they are worked as employees. Is this the norm here?

Other subs I've talked to are getting a flat rate. For instance, 2 brick layers I know are getting $250/thousand. These guys can hardly pay their bills, much less get ahead.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, LOL

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It would seem that most companies are paying carpenters on a 1099 and paying them HOURLY rate, and they are worked as employees. Is this the norm here?
Most small companies around here do. I actually did when I first started up. No insurance. No work comp. No taxes paid on employees. Then I figured it out. Yall would be shocked at the number of uninsured people around here. Oklahoma doesn't have a gc license test or requirements so any joe off the street xan start up his business over night. Roofers are required to be licensed and insured but I have not once been checked. Matter of fact last roof in city limits I went to get a permit and the code officer told me that he isn't issuing permits for roofing at the time. To have at it. What a waste of tax dollars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts