Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off, I'm new to this forum so i do apologize before hand if i have posted this in the wrong forum. I am in the works of reading the NASCLA Guide to Business, Law and Project Management book for Arkansas 4th Edition so that i can take the test for our Commercial license to do work more than $25,000.

Im about half way through the book and honestly i feel like im just reading words because i have no guide lines to study by. I have researched and researched looking for study guides and have come up with prices ranging from just take this little review test for our site and recieve the NASCLA study guide for free to them costing $250+.

I figured my next option would be too ask non other than people that have been through all this before and see if someone might lend a helping hand in the right direction. I don't mind spending money on something that is worth while, but id hate to run out and drop $250 on a "study guide" if it doesnt help me much more than this book.

any and all help is very much appreciated :)

Brandt
*BKB Plumbing*

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
A lot depends upon how well you know the "business" side of contracting in your state.

Took the business exam for AR about three years ago. Sorry but not fresh in my mind. Though I would say to understand processes is important, from what I remember. What constitutes a "licensed contractor" and classifications of and stuff like that also.

·
Kowboy
2,265 Posts
BKB:

I'd look for some in-person classes. No way I would have passed Florida's exams without them and I had a 3.67 GPA in college.

$250.00 is nothing. Between the tuition, the tests, the overnights, meals, travel, code books, licensing assistance, and incorporation, I'm in about 4 large.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kowboy, you're correct. i live 2 hours from the testing facility here in AR, just the gas and meal to drive down there and back would be $150 or so. My next question would be, has anyone purchased a study guide for the NASCLA test. with so many options out there id like some input if anyone has purchased one.

·
Kowboy
2,265 Posts
It's open book
Florida's tests are open book, but if you're not familiar with where to look up the answers, you'll never look up enough of them fast enough to pass. That's why the schools are such a value. They have guys who take the tests and never pass deliberately, just so they can memorize/copy recent questions on the test. I'd bet at least 20% of the questions I looked up and answered at the test, I looked up and answered in class. I can't imagine anyone passing these tests without this practice.

·
GC / EC
42 Posts
I just took and passed the NASCLA. It wasn't necessarily as difficult as when I did the Florida GC exam, and nowhere near as tough as Florida's EC, but the variety of books makes it a tough one to find answers on many of the questions. I used LicenseToBuild.com's NASCLA exam prep class as a refresher the couple of weeks leading up to exam. It helped you get through the books somewhat but I didn't have very many answers highlighted.

For my Florida GC I used ContractorClasses.com and loved it. They were very in depth in the online review and the practice tests helped.

My Florida EC exam prep was through Mike Holt. The week-long prep was a God-send. John did an excellent job covering the books inside and out, and the questions we covered in the practice exams were almost word for word on the actual exam.

I don't feel comfortable jumping into an exam without a prep class of some sort. I'm getting ready to take North Carolina's EC exam, and am still looking for a good option. I am still using my Mike Holt DVDs to get ready, but would feel better taking a refresher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts