Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do when you strip off old shingles and find the decking is 3 inches wide but in good condition?
My worry would be that there are alot of gaps. Am i overanalyzing?

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
Is the whole roof decking that way? Or just the overhang part? Was very common way on older houses. If you get the roof stripped and the decking is in good condition you should be alright. If spaced boards on the rest , it should be resheeted.

·
Eater of sins.
4,687 Posts
Around here in So Cal. we call what you are describing "skip sheeting".
It was used primarily for wood shingle or shake roofs. The roof system was so air permeable that eave and ridge or gable venting wasn't even needed.
All the moisture would escape out the roof surface its self.
It is pretty common now for a re-roof to sheet over top of the skip sheeting now then apply paper and comp shingle.

Andy.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
Andy around here a lot of older house had the overhang done with the 3" wains coat (sp) boards to give a finished look when looking up from the underside then spaced or skip boards on the rest of the roof. Kind of wondering if that is not what the OP is talking about. Pretty much all of this type of roofs had cedar shingles too.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Andy around here a lot of older house had the overhang done with the 3" wains coat (sp) boards to give a finished look when looking up from the underside then spaced or skip boards on the rest of the roof. Kind of wondering if that is not what the OP is talking about. Pretty much all of this type of roofs had cedar shingles too.
Randy- you and I are thinking alike.
I was definitely getting a beadboard vibe, not a skip sheeting vibe.

MANY houses here were originally with exposed rafter tails,flying rakes, exposed beadboard on all the overhangs and eaves and then SYP 1x8 everywhere else. Also beadboard used to form eyebrows and other curved surfaces.

Occasionally we have hired guys who had bragged about their extensive 7 years of experience get into an absolute tizzy the first time they encountered 1x decking, insisting we were gonna have to re-deck the entire house because 1x somehow wasn't "right"

( it's only been there working just fine since 1915-we can renail it and it will be just fine.)

somehow, those seem to be the guys who despite their"experience"-also never learned to brake out chimney flashing or bend w valley and have never seen a piece of copper--
and they are flabbergasted when I hand nail the eaves with shorties so we don't blow through the finish side of the beadboard......

Stephen

·
Registered
210 Posts
We see that a lot in S Cal, the living space is as Andy mentioned and the eves are typically 1x6 or 1x8 ship lap...some are boxed in most are not.

The metal roofing I do mostly goes on over the skip sheathing. We measure out where we need lumber and fill it in the spaced sheathing as needed. We call it select fill. I am allowed to go over spaced or solid with most stone coated metal roofing.

If your doing comp then you will need to add a layer of 1/2" ply or osb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts