Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at floor finishes. Have a flooring guy who really likes the rustoleum nano shield finish. I've always just used oil based poly. I don't know anything about the nano shield. anyone have anything good or bad to say about it? thanks, Nick.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I never used it but had a customer call me once to discuss it as she had it applied..Her complaint was how easy it was scratching and Marring.

Personally is you want a single component Waterbase with Aluminum Oxide I would recommend Last N Last 1500.

But you are still better of with a dual component finish..

The waterbase /oil base argument is like the chicken or the egg.

I personally believe oil base is still better despite all the hype.

Especially if you dont live in VOC states

·
Doer of Many Things!!!
837 Posts
Even the commercial grade single component WB like Bona and Palman don't wear that well in my experience. Now the two component stuff it extremely tough. I'd say tougher than traditional oil. However, it isn't as chemical resistant. Drop one tiny drop of lacquer (such as nail polish) on a water based finish and watch it eat right down to the bare wood by the time you can wipe it off.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Never used the nano sheild finish, but use a lot of the professional grade nano sheild stain. It's the **** for sure.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I have basic coatings emulsion on my staircase and used a glitsa single component in my living room. The emulsion has done very well. The glitsa is garbage. Worn through and fading in about a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts