Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pro
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering changing my company name from Friedman Home Improvement to Friedman Construction. I'm a small enough company right now that the change wont effect too many things. I don't want to limit myself down the road from getting any bigger jobs with "Home Improvement" in my name. Also my LLC is under EJ's Management so the name change would just be adding a DBA name.

Any Pros or Cons would be great.

Thanks
Evan

·
Registered
819 Posts
when I see the phrase 'home improvement' it typically means a step above a handyman....I don't even bother marketing my business to them...I know they do their own plumbing

construction is MUCH better

how about Renovation instead?

·
Theological Carpenter
78 Posts
I am considering changing my company name from Friedman Home Improvement to Friedman Construction. I'm a small enough company right now that the change wont effect too many things. I don't want to limit myself down the road from getting any bigger jobs with "Home Improvement" in my name. Also my LLC is under EJ's Management so the name change would just be adding a DBA name.

Any Pros or Cons would be great.

Thanks
Evan
We recently changed from doing business as Silver Hammer Home Improvement to Silver Hammer Remodeling as part of my boss's effort to focus what we do. We also found that "Home Improvement" might as well read "Handyman" for a lot of people.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
LOL!! Mission accomplished around here on bashing 'handymen' and giving them a bad name, so now home improvement is next on the chopping block??

·
Theological Carpenter
78 Posts
LOL!! Mission accomplished around here on bashing 'handymen' and giving them a bad name, so now home improvement is next on the chopping block??
How is it giving them a bad name? We just don't want to be handymen, any more than we want people to think we are plumbers.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
The best contractor I know has home improvements in his name. I worked for him for several years building 4000 sqf to 8000 sqf customs. He's getting older now and just does built ins and stuff.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I go by TR Construction, - - maybe I oughtta change over to something like 'Design Guild' now, - - gotta stay ahead of the curve, ya' know??

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Have you talked to an SEO expert to see if one will get you more hits in organic searches? Construction can be vague and covers lots of trades.

But if you want to change, sooner is better. a DBA is easy to pull off, and your existing customers will likely not notice the change.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Pearce Services said:
Have you talked to an SEO expert to see if one will get you more hits in organic searches? Construction can be vague and covers lots of trades. But if you want to change, sooner is better. a DBA is easy to pull off, and your existing customers will likely not notice the change.
I agree with that.

I worked for a roofing company in college call J&B installations

Half the guys that worked for them called it J&B construction or J&B roofing. Even though it was on the shirt they had on and on the side of the truck they drove to the job

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Been a "home improvement" company for going on 9 years, never been out of work. Don't like to be called a handyman but we do actually do quite a bit of handyman services. Its just a label, we do top notch work and stay extremely busy because of it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wow time for a new phone. I do a bit of everything but wanted to stay away from sounding like a handyman...I never seem to make much money doing little handyman projects. Only if I'm slow or if I think it will turn into more work.

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
We changed the name of our company some years ago, from our last name " " Fine Homes, Inc
to a generic name with remodeling in the name. It was for google ad words placement, which we dont really use because we dont really advertise. We still get calls to build new homes, boat docks, commercial work, kitchens and baths, ect... we are just general contractors. People around here just say call JAWS for that. The company name doesnt mean anything out here.

In an urban area it might.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If I had to do it over again- I would have done things a bit differently.
A Generation ago, after a long conversation with my dad-we settled on Hazlett Roofing and Renovation

Eventually I became a Ltd. as well

But in Hindsight I wish I had named it Hazlett Roofing and Restoration Ltd.-- which would have much more accurately reflected what we are about.

I notice now adays we are more likely to print up promotional Lit. with Hazlett emphasized, Roofing i& Renovation much smaller and then SLATE & TILE emphasized.

Most of the checks just come to Hazlett Roofing anyhow LOL
stephen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts